Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavs non-identical (Read 3120 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavs non-identical

Hi, ive done a test by creating wav files two different ways, and compared them using EAC's 'Compare Wavs' feature:

.    wav 1 was created by ripping a cd to individual wav files using the 'WAV' 
    button then using the first wav file created.
.    wav 2 was created by ripping the cd as an image+cue sheet>uncompressed, 
    then converting the long wav file to a long flac file with embedded cue sheet
    using flac frontend, and finally using foobar2000 to load the flac file and
    convert the 1st track to a .wav file.

from what i can understand, both methods should result in exactly the same wav file being created.   

however, when comparing the wavs, eac states:

'12 repeated samples 0:00:00.028'

the exact same error message appears when comparing tracks 2, 3 etc..

my drive offset is +12 (configured by accurip) so does that mean if i rip an image+cue sheet then i shouldnt use offset? or is there another reason for this? 

Cheers

Matteo

Wavs non-identical

Reply #1
Looks like on of the two versions is accidentally ripped without offset correction.
Do you still have the image wav on your hard drive ? Then split it by the cue sheet using eac. Compare the tracks. If you get the repeated samples error, you know that it has nothing to do with the flac process.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Wavs non-identical

Reply #2
i use Accurip to set the offset, so the option is blanked out in the drive settings, is there ne way to change it?!

im right in thinkin that these two wavs SHOULD be IDENTICAL? i hope so! otherwise i havent understood a thing!

Cheers

Matt

Wavs non-identical

Reply #3
Yes, they should be identical. You should run another test to see if this problem is repeatable.

Wavs non-identical

Reply #4
i use Accurip to set the offset, so the option is blanked out in the drive settings, is there ne way to change it?!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=335585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need to disable accurip in order to be able to change them, but nevertheless the tracks should be identical, regardless wether they've been ripped to image or single tracks.

Wavs non-identical

Reply #5
ok, i tested the same cd, created individual wavs using the wav button, then created an image + cue sheet and split the tracks using inc. gaps method. 

i then compared the wavs and they were all identical!!

so it turns out when i recode the wav + cuesheet as a flac file with embedded quesheet (for archiving) then rencode it back to a wav file and use the original eac sheet, something goes wrong!

ne ideas?!

Cheers

Matt

Wavs non-identical

Reply #6
I'm guessing that you're confusing something.
I suggest that you repeat the original encoding/decoding process with the new image wav and compare again.
Anyway, since the problem obviously isn't EAC-related and since I don't use FLAC you need someone else to help if the offset difference exists again.

Wavs non-identical

Reply #7
yeh ill try with other cds etc, thanks for the help so far!

Matt