Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Plextor Drives (Read 4027 times) previous topic - next topic

New Plextor Drives

Plextor recently announced two new products series: PX-750 and PX-760.

The PX-750 introduces 5x DVD-RAM writing and reading, as well as 16x writing speed for DVD+R and DVD-R, 8x for DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL and DVD+RW and 6x for DVD-RW.

The PX-760 is the world's fastest DVD rewriter. It introduces writing speeds of 18x for DVD+R and DVD-R, 10x for DVD+R DL, 6x for DVD-R DL and DVD-RW and 8x for DVD+RW.

New Plextor Drives

Reply #2
The Anandtech article for the PX-740 looks like it would be illustrative here:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2482

I wouldn't go so far to say that the 740 was a rebranded drive, just that it has the same  hardware as a BenQ drive. The programming (firmware) is different. It doesn't support all of the standard Plextor advanced feature set, but it still ends up being a pretty decent performer.

So are the 750 and 760 advances on this same type?

EDIT  to correct dumb grammer error.

New Plextor Drives

Reply #3
I am wondering if the PX-750 is a true Plextor or a rebranded drive - any idea?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=335500"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure if the PX-750 is rebranded or not, but on the Plextor site they say, that with PlexTools you can activate Gigarec or Silent Mode, which only Plextor drives are able to do. On the other hand Autostrategy that is already supported by the PX-716 drive (and also seems to be an original Plextor drive exclusive) is missing.
An other puzzeling fact is, that both drives (750 & 760) have only 2MB of buffer. Plextor usually puts 8MB of Buffer in their drives.

Regards

- Realityfreak

New Plextor Drives

Reply #4
According to the knowledgable folks at CDFreaks, the 760 is probably a genuine Plextor while the 750 will most certainly be a rebrand (BenQ IIRC)
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

New Plextor Drives

Reply #5
The 750 might even be a collaborative effort.