Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: so what happened? (Read 30471 times) previous topic - next topic

so what happened?

Reply #50
I don't know if flipik was referring to lossless when he was talking about buying a larger hdd etc.  As much as I hate to admit it, it certainly is the wave of the future as no lossy no matter how good is going to be able to match (this is by definition).  (a lot of HAers already use lossless exclusively now).

To encode a CD would mean (with FLAC)  400mb or so.  You get at most 3 cds to a gig.  With a 200 gig HDD (which is very affordable at least in the US $100 or less) let's say 300 to 600 cds.  Certainly good enough for a medium-size collection.  FLAC can also be used to distribute music as some etailers are trying, but bandwidth is more limited than HDD.

So IMO, lossy will become increasingly for mobile and streaming only.  And even so, storage capacity in HDD players will quickly catch up and streaming less quickly.  Death of the "lossy" era for music? I guess the question is not if but when.

I think deep down all the developers know this...again, I was taken aback when flipik said it as I hadn't want to admit it to myself but its clear as day.  By the time the developer teams get around to the new release (again nothing but appreciation for their work since they are volunteering their time and efforts and have full time jobs etc), we might not need MPC or any other lossy anymore, as it is 2 years later we are already on the verge of this.

so what happened?

Reply #51
As for Klemm's site, no one currently knows what is wrong with it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253651"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I talked with Frank about the situation (amongst some other things which will be announced in due time). The website was hosted on his university account. He studied from '89 to '97, and he had a second study from '98 till '04 to keep student status. But now the Uni introduced rather high tuition fees and he quit. Therefore they cancelled the website and cut his access to the computer center. He asked them if they could keep the site online, because after all, there are many links to it, but it was a no go. They don't make exceptions.

There are several problems now: He can't access the old page and put e.g. a forwarder to a new page, he doesn't have a hoster, he doesn't know for sure what pages were on there, and he has a slow connection (50+ MB content).

so what happened?

Reply #52
it appears archive.org has a lot of it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040209025745/...na.de/~pfk/mpp/

Couldn't that be ripped and then hosted somewhere else? I might actually be able to help. At least untill the network admin at my dorm starts screaming if it eats the connection too much...