Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playing .cue files (Read 5375 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing .cue files

I have searched for over an hour for answer on how you use cue files associated with flac files in foobar, and not found and satisfying answer.  I've configured foobar to not exclude these, but somehow it still does. I have also tried embedding the cue sheet in some files, although that doesn't seem to do anything. How are you supposed to play these cue files? I'm using the latest version of foobar.

Playing .cue files

Reply #1
Exclude them where? How are you loading them? Does nothing happen at all, or do you get an error message? What program created the cue sheets? Do they definitely reference the FLAC file and not its source WAV file? etc.

Playing .cue files

Reply #2
Exclude them where? How are you loading them? Does nothing happen at all, or do you get an error message? What program created the cue sheets? Do they definitely reference the FLAC file and not its source WAV file? etc.

Nothing happens. How are you supposed to use the cue sheet to go to specific locations in a large flac/ape file anyways? I can successfully load the cue sheet, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do to get it playing.

An example of what a .cue file may look like:

Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Classical
REM DISCID 69121D09
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b4"
PERFORMER "Franz Schubert"
TITLE "Masterworks Disc 22"
FILE "Franz Schubert - Masterworks Disc 22.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Piano Sonata in A minor D537 - Allegro ma non troppo"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Piano Sonata in A minor D537 - Allegretto, quasi andantino"
INDEX 01 10:42:63
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Piano Sonata in A minor D537 - Allegro vivace"
INDEX 01 19:18:62
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Piano Sonata in A major D664 - Allegro moderato"
INDEX 00 23:37:32
INDEX 01 23:42:72
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Piano Sonata in A major D664 - Andante"
INDEX 01 34:48:12
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Piano Sonata in A major D664 - Allegro"
INDEX 01 40:00:12
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Drei Klavierstücke D946 - Allegro molto, in E flat minor"
INDEX 00 47:23:46
INDEX 01 47:29:43
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Drei Klavierstücke D946 - Allegretto, in E flat major"
INDEX 01 60:39:11
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
TITLE "Drei Klavierstücke D946 - Allegro, in C major"
INDEX 01 71:34:70

Playing .cue files

Reply #3
If the cue sheet is constructed correctly, loading it into foobar2000 should result in each track from it appearing as separate playable items in the playlist. Then you can just start playback of any of them as you would with ‘regular’ (i.e. per-track) files.

You “can successfully load the cue sheet”; what does that mean? Do you mean that the tracks appear as above (good) or not (bad)?

Playing .cue files

Reply #4
If the cue sheet is constructed correctly, loading it into foobar2000 should result in each track from it appearing as separate playable items in the playlist. Then you can just start playback of any of them as you would with ‘regular’ (i.e. per-track) files.

Well, then it doesn't seem to work for any of the cue files I have obtained, as the duration of each track remains on the order of 1 hour.

Playing .cue files

Reply #5
By “track” do you actually mean album? That is, the FLAC files are loaded up, but not split into their component tracks?

If so I can’t think of an explanation for that based on your example cue sheet, because I can’t see any problems with it.

Playing .cue files

Reply #6
By “track” do you actually mean album? That is, the FLAC files are loaded up, but not split into their component tracks?

If so I can’t think of an explanation for that based on your example cue sheet, because I can’t see any problems with it.

Flacs do not split into separate tracks. Well I might mean album, if you define that as the ripped CD (single file flac or ape) that I want to split.

Playing .cue files

Reply #7
Just to confirm: You are loading the cue sheet itself, and not the corresponding FLAC file, right?

Playing .cue files

Reply #8
Just to confirm: You are loading the cue sheet itself, and not the corresponding FLAC file, right?

Well, I discovered that if I load a .cue file it loads separate tracks. But when I load folders it only loads the single file flac/ape or whatever it may be. So it seems to exclude cues when loading folders, which seems irrational to me. And I'm not going to manually load hundreds of cue files.

Playing .cue files

Reply #9
Preferences > Shell Integration

remove *.CUE from exclude file types
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Playing .cue files

Reply #12
See, I would have suggested that, but your initial post implied that you had already done that:
I've configured foobar to not exclude these, but somehow it still does.

Playing .cue files

Reply #13
See, I would have suggested that, but your initial post implied that you had already done that:
I've configured foobar to not exclude these, but somehow it still does.

I looked in the wrong preferences tab. Thereby excluding .cue files.

Playing .cue files

Reply #14
Yes, there is the Media Library page, which excludes files from indexing, and there is the Shell Integration page, which excludes files from file associations or from being added manually.

Playing .cue files

Reply #15
And then foo_cuefilter might be helpful.

thank you! foo_cuefilter works great!!!
(removing *.cue from the exclude file type didn't work for me)

and I discover after that from the same author 'Windows 7 Shell Integration' which is beautiful with windows seven

I a m happy because now foobar works well