Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automatically organise files & folders depending o (Read 18211 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatically organise files & folders depending o

Hi guys, I used to use foobar quite some time ago, but switched to iTunes because it had a few extra features that I liked. I've seen the light now though and want to ditch iTunes and move onto something else, preferably foobar!

The one feature I'm after more than any in a media player is the ability to automatically organise files and folders depending on what I set as the ID3 tag. For example in iTunes you can have loads of random songs, just click and drag them into the iTunes window and it'll all be neatly sorted to:

Music Folder/Artist/Album/01 Track Name.mp3

This has saved me heaps of time in the past because you don't have to worry about renaming files, folders, moving things about etc, it just happens all very nicely in the background.

On a side note, can you rip and burn CDs easily now in foobar? Thanks!

Reply #1
Hi guys, I used to use foobar quite some time ago, but switched to iTunes because it had a few extra features that I liked. I've seen the light now though and want to ditch iTunes and move onto something else, preferably foobar!

The one feature I'm after more than any in a media player is the ability to automatically organise files and folders depending on what I set as the ID3 tag. For example in iTunes you can have loads of random songs, just click and drag them into the iTunes window and it'll all be neatly sorted to:

Music Folder/Artist/Album/01 Track Name.mp3

This has saved me heaps of time in the past because you don't have to worry about renaming files, folders, moving things about etc, it just happens all very nicely in the background.

On a side note, can you rip and burn CDs easily now in foobar? Thanks!

All of the above is possible.

1. Organizing the files
Use foobar's "move, rename or copy files" option with the following code:
%artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% %title%

2. Rip CDs
you need foo_cdda. You probably already have it

3. Burn CDs
you need foo_burninate. It needs Nero to be installed.

Reply #2
Ahhh! That's absolutely fantastic, I was looking at loads of stuff on this site yesterday and would of been absolutely gutted if it couldn't do what I need it to, this player has really come on heaps since I last used it, looks like a really brilliant player now!

Just wondering regarding the first bit, does that mean it'll only move and rename files when I first drag them into foobar's library, or does it mean if I rename a track or whatever in foobar it'll automatically rename the file too? Thanks again

Reply #3
Just wondering regarding the first bit, does that mean it'll only move and rename files when I first drag them into foobar's library, or does it mean if I rename a track or whatever in foobar it'll automatically rename the file too? Thanks again

Files will only be moved or renamed if you use the "File Operations/Move, Rename or Copy Files" command. Moving and renaming is not triggered automatically.

Reply #4
Ah I see, that's a shame, is there a plugin or a way to make it do it automatically?

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to use this player anyway, I'm trying very desperately to set it up how I want it and I've just realised again why I ditched it last time; you spend more time tweaking it and customising it than you actually do using it

Reply #5
Ah I see, that's a shame, is there a plugin or a way to make it do it automatically?

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to use this player anyway, I'm trying very desperately to set it up how I want it and I've just realised again why I ditched it last time; you spend more time tweaking it and customising it than you actually do using it

I understand what you're saying. I felt the same way the very first time I tried it. But I installed it a second time probably about a month ago, and I'm realizing no other audio player compares. It does take a while to set it up and tweak it, especially when it comes to the visuals, but it's so worth it. It doesn't always do things automatically, but in exchange you can customize it however you like and there are so many useful tools once you learn your way around it. I would really suggest taking a week or two to try to really learn foobar, and it'll totally be worth it.

Reply #6
Indeed, I just want a player with the same layout as this - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/54415764/ - and has the features I mentioned above  (not so much the look, but I want it all listed nicely and with the ability to change different criteria at the top like iTunes)

Maybe there's an easy guide or something I could read when I get a chance, I just really wish that installing plugins and changing the appearance were easy to do

Sad to admit it, I basically want iTunes but not, if that makes sense ;p

Reply #7
Indeed, I just want a player with the same layout as this - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/54415764/ - and has the features I mentioned above  (not so much the look, but I want it all listed nicely and with the ability to change different criteria at the top like iTunes)

Maybe there's an easy guide or something I could read when I get a chance, I just really wish that installing plugins and changing the appearance were easy to do

Sad to admit it, I basically want iTunes but not, if that makes sense ;p

Hmm maybe something that looks like this?

Reply #8
Yup! Something with a layout like that would be perfect, I'd probably prefer lighter colours but that looks nice anyway  Also not bothered really by album art or the lyrics, but I guess they're kinda neat additions (I listen to a lot of bands that wouldn't have these readily available too unfortunately)

Reply #9
Yup! Something with a layout like that would be perfect, I'd probably prefer lighter colours but that looks nice anyway  Also not bothered really by album art or the lyrics, but I guess they're kinda neat additions (I listen to a lot of bands that wouldn't have these readily available too unfortunately)

Hmm I guess extra features isn't really something you're looking for. In that case you can't really go wrong with itunes. I mean it is a very simple and easy to use program. The only problem I had with it was that it was rather sluggish with a large music collection(4k+). With that being said, the configuration you're looking for is really quite simiple. The ability to have that criteria browsing thing like itunes can be achieved with a component called foo_browser. You should PM apul, because he's the one that created the configuration that you're looking for. Go to this thread, and on the last page there's a guy named apul that posted the picture you posted. PM him and ask him for help.

Thread apul posted in

Reply #10
Yup, that foo_browser looks great thanks, I guess I just want that with a nice interface and the CD ripping/burning features

Reply #11
read my previous edit if you didn't

Reply #12
Do you think there'll ever be a section of the site listing all of the plugins and a few skins/themes or whatever? I'm trying desperately to find download links for stuff but just can't get it anywhere, foo_browser, foo_burninate and foo_cdda don't seem to have download links anywhere, and I've no idea where to download visual styles from

Edit: Brilliant cheers, will pm him

Reply #14
I found that site, thanks, although unfortunately I didn't find any download links. (actually, just got one for burninate!)

Reply #15
Do you think there'll ever be a section of the site listing all of the plugins and a few skins/themes or whatever? I'm trying desperately to find download links for stuff but just can't get it anywhere, foo_browser, foo_burninate and foo_cdda don't seem to have download links anywhere, and I've no idea where to download visual styles from

Edit: Brilliant cheers, will pm him

foo_browser
foo_cdda

For visual styles, there are threads in the upload sub forum that uses have posted the coding for their configurations. But it usually requires you to do at least some work, it's not like window blinds where you can just download a .thm file. But the visual style you're looking for should be fairly easy to do. Good luck!

Reply #16
What a star, thank you so much

Reply #17
I'm out. I'm sure foobar is a brilliant media player and I love it's lightweight approach to the situation but I've spent around 6 hours researching and messing about with things and I'm barely any further than when I first started.

Really pains me to say this since I absolutely hate the way iTunes uses so much resources and runs so painfully slowly on my computer, but seems I may have to go back to it yet again ;_;

I apologise for wasting the time of those that have helped me, I've really tried to like and use this player though, but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen ;_;

Reply #18
foobar's not for everybody.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #19
But it's a shame because it could be, everything just seems to overly complicated, it's almost like the developers made it that way just so that the general masses wouldn't stand a chance, I honestly think if foobar was made more accessible it'd be the best media player around by a mile, genuinely gutted I can't get the bloody thing working :/

Reply #20
Two final questions (sorry) just in case I can redeem it:

1) Where can I find the option to move/rename files and folders according to ID3 tags? I've looked and can't find it anywhere

2) Is there any easy way of making Foo look like one of these:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4015/foobar5sp.jpg
http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ca...061824320hn.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Too...-2006-05-23.png

Don't really want any of the fancy stuff like album artwork etc, but I'd like: Clean/nice UI, Browser, CD Rip, CD Burn & Library Organistation

Reply #21
1) Where can I find the option to move/rename files and folders according to ID3 tags? I've looked and can't find it anywhere

This is done through a context menu command called "Move, Rename or Copy Files". By default it is located in the "File Operations" submenu. If you can't find it - not even in the context menu preferences - you probably have not installed the masstagger component. In this case, just rerun the foobar2000 installer and select it.

Reply #22
Two final questions (sorry) just in case I can redeem it:

2) Is there any easy way of making Foo look like one of these:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4015/foobar5sp.jpg
http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ca...061824320hn.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Too...-2006-05-23.png

Don't really want any of the fancy stuff like album artwork etc, but I'd like: Clean/nice UI, Browser, CD Rip, CD Burn & Library Organistation

Did apul talk to you about how he made his configurations? I can come up with a very simple, pretty much the same looking foobar as when you first load it after a clean installation, look that has the  browser panels set up for you. I'm not quite sure how he did the other stuff, such as color scheme,buttons,etc.

Moderation: Please do not inline images larger than roughly 800x600 and 80KB. Please use thumbnails and/or links for large pictures instead.

Reply #23
Sorry for asking what is evidently yet another ridiculous question, but where can I get masstag from? I've just been searching for around 10 minutes, ended up on loads of different websites, none of which had the download file ;_;

db78 that looks great, I'm after something very similar to that, and the browser bar across the top is perfect! How did you do that?

Reply #24
Sorry for asking what is evidently yet another ridiculous question, but where can I get masstag from? I've just been searching for around 10 minutes, ended up on loads of different websites, none of which had the download file ;_;

db78 that looks great, I'm after something very similar to that, and the browser bar across the top is perfect! How did you do that?

Masstag is a component that comes with the installation of foobar, but you have to manually check it yourself. Below is a .rar file, it contains a folder with components, and a .fcs file. The folder with components in it has the masstag component, a long with some other ones that could be useful to you, but most of them should already be in your component folder. Be sure to at least copy the masstag & browser components into your component folder. The .fcs is the configuration for the layout to the one I posted. Go to preferences, column ui, and you should be able to import .fcs files. I believe after importing, you should also have the browser panels.

foobar.rar