Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: playlists are saved only at foobar shutdown (Read 9946 times) previous topic - next topic

playlists are saved only at foobar shutdown

Sometimes Windows or computer crashes, so modified and new playlists are not saved by Foobar, cause it saves playlist only at program shutdown.

WISH: Foobar can check new/modified playlist and auto save them if not modified e.g. last 5 minutes.

Reply #1
After losing about two weeks of playlist changes yet again due to a power outage, I'm still very surprised this is not implemented. I usually just suspend my PC instead of shutting it down when I'm done so I don't have to load everything up again, but sometimes a power outage will kill it in its sleep and weeks or months worth of playlist changes are lost. This has happened to me more times than I care to count now.

Apparently this is by design to stop people using buggy components (?). As a concession, even a File / Save (no format / directory prompts, saves all playlists as if on exit) would be better than losing data all the time.

Maybe someone with SDK experience could make a plugin to auto save every 24 hours or something? It's kind of ridiculous to expect people to quit and restart to properly save playlist changes.

Reply #2
The Save All button in Preferences includes the playlists and the database.

Reply #3
As a concession, even a File / Save (no format / directory prompts, saves all playlists as if on exit) would be better than losing data all the time.

fb2k has "File - Save all playlists" command which you can bind to e.g. "ctrl-s".

Reply #4
Optimal solution would be to save playlists after any change and after each played song, it's annoying if I lose a playlist or have to manually find the last played song after ie. a power outage.

Reply #5

Didnt know about it, thank you!

Reply #6

Quick question: Does this also make the official play_count write the playback statistic information for the current session into the database?

(I ask because foobar crash has always resulted in a loss of the playback statistics for the current "session").

Reply #7
Quick question: Does this also make the official play_count write the playback statistic information for the current session into the database?
Quick answer: I performed "save all" in the options, crashed my fb2k for you, the latest statistics changes from 20 seconds ago are kept. But it's also possible the playcounter component writes to db at any change. Testing this is up to you
EDIT: No it does not, as you already indicated.

Overall result: Yes, "Save all" does the trick.

As a concession, even a File / Save (no format / directory prompts, saves all playlists as if on exit) would be better than losing data all the time.

fb2k has "File - Save all playlists" command which you can bind to e.g. "ctrl-s".

"Save all playlists" asks for user input and is rather an export function.

Reply #8
"Save Configuration" is bindable and seems to be the same as Save All, so that helps. It would still be nice if I didn't have to do this .

Reply #11
how do i achieve this in FB2K v1.1.7?

i mean, i don't want to quit fb2k just to save the playlists!
also, i can't find the "Save all" playlist option in the File menu or in the Preferences.
has this been removed?... i sincerely hope not (it would be really stupid if this option is gone)

some guidance will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
ok, i could only find the bind to keyboard shortcut method.
well... something is better than nothing

EDIT2:
oh god! it sucks!
...painful!
i was expecting the loaded playlists to get saved so that the playlists can be automatically reloaded on a foobar restart.

Reply #13
hello
well... i have used that component before but stopped using it (long back) since it would hang foobar for a few seconds at the auto-save interval.
seems this be the only way so i guess i'll give it a try once again.
now that i am not working on my foobar layout anymore, i can concentrate on only maintaining a backup of the playlists so the hang will be less irritating.

however, if i remember correctly, this component would make a backup in a zip file.
i wonder if the playlists will be auto-loaded from the last interval that jesus had saved it to.

thanks for the reply though