Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar Stops Playing after Several Minutes, Win 10 (Read 5600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Foobar Stops Playing after Several Minutes, Win 10

Reply #25
If you use Windows Defender it should in no circumstances cause such hangs. It will block access to executables for a moment before they launch as it scans them, but after that there are no more delays.

But to answer your executable question there is only foobar2000.exe in use normally but ASIO and WASAPI outputs both isolate the audio interface from the core player and host the output engine in separate exes. Those executables are typically under %appdata%\foobar2000\user-components in foo_out_asio and foo_out_wasapi directories.

If you wish to verify that antimalware is responsible I recommend turning it off and seeing what happens with playback then.

Reply #26
Ok,

Killing the Windows Defender exe is a real pain....its wired into WIN 10,,,so an easier way to test for the antimalware service thats associated with Win Defender is to install a different Antivirus program....so

I just tried AVG Free, I used this years ago but left it behind after some issues.

Well...for about an hour now I have been playing, downloading, web drowsing...and NOT one Hang!!!

So there is definetly something Win Defender in Win 10 that doesnt like Foobar 2000 ....I can exclude the folder and exe from scanning but its still getting looked at from time to time...and thus the hang or apparent hang while its being scanned....and after its done....usually 2 min or so...it starts to play again...but if you dont want to wait a long time....and kill the foobar in Task Mgr...you cant even re-start fobar again unless you log out or shutdown and come back in...

So.....someone should log an issue with Microsoft and take a look....

At least I have found the culprit...but its not an elegant solution or "fix"..

Alex

Note: Case so the comment about in NO way should win defender cause such hangs is invalid here. Of course you could agrue the hang is just a long delay...but its annoying as heck.

Reply #27
For reference, I am planning to refactor the app in a way that prevents this issue (stuck decoder) from locking up entire app. I don't think I can do much to prevent playback from getting stuck though - perhaps other than preloading whole file early? It's like keeping a file open for longer periods of time is problematic....
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #28
Peter I am going to continue to test on other drives as well....some seem to be more imprevious to this type of hang?

On all my systems I have 6 pcs now..all windows one 8.1 and all the others are W10.
The two systems I have that experienced this hang are systems with large 1.5 and 3 tb hdrives, one seagate and one WD.
On a laptop with a 500gb SSD it NEVER hangs!!

There is still more to this..

Alex

Reply #29
Wondering if you cant just set it up to "play from memory"?
I have 32gb of memory on my systesm, could we not load a song into unused and stream from there?
Load into mem from the hdrive?

Alex

Reply #30
In File > Preferences > Advanced > Playback there's an option for 'Full file buffering up to (kB)' that will fully load a song into RAM before playing. So you need to pick a number large enough to cover the largest file you expect to play. I've never used this, so I can't comment on whether you'll see some delays for particularly large files. I'm not one of the developers, but I would guess that for predictable playback (such as default order from a playlist) foobar2000 would pre-buffer the next song ahead of time.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #31
Since I removed WIndows Defender and substituted with AVG all is well so far...just upgreaded to .16
Alex