Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Installing LAME On Mac (Read 2223 times) previous topic - next topic

Installing LAME On Mac

I downloaded LAME for Mac from SourceForge. ( I got a message from Audacity when I tried to save an audio file I created with Audacity that I'd have to install LAME first.) But, when I download and try to install LAME on my iMac (Yosemite) I get this message: the LAME file "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

So, what should I do?

Dave

Re: Installing LAME On Mac

Reply #1
Ah, that is Apple's malware protection system (called Gatekeeper) in action.

If you now go to System Preferences and choose Security & Privacy you should see it mentions the last executable that the system was unsure about. If that last executable was Lame you can choose here to allow it to run and it shouldn't bother you again.

If it doesn't mention Lame, just try and start Lame again to make sure it is the last executable that Gatekeeper has blocked.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #2
Thanx, but that way did not lead anywhere I could use. So I decided to open the "lock" on Security & Privacy and simply selected "anywhere" as an acceptable source. Things okay now.

Dave

Reply #3
I would suggest that after you have run Lame for the first time you turn that switch back to where it was. It should then recognise that Lame is something you trust and intentionally wanted to run. Permanently disabling Gatekeeper is not very wise nowadays.

Reply #4
Tell me something, are you an "administrator" on this site? I just discovered when I tried to log in that my user name is not being accepted. Is that something else you can help me with?

Dave

Reply #5
Nope, not an admin. You can see who the admins are on the front page in the bottom left column.