Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD transcode and replaygain (Read 2523 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD transcode and replaygain

Hello folks,

A few month ago I converted all my stuff from m4a apple lossless alac to flac, but today while researching replaygain one thought gave me a fit  :o  :o  :o . I used iVolume with my m4a library (it writes soundcheck into files), so what if when transcoding XLD used this data to adjust actual output files? Though so far my research suggest that it is very unlikely and I had no custom options on during conversion, paranoia has no number on it. I'm unable to find any data concerning replaygain in my flacs at all and while I certainly prefer it this way, I want to be sure not to miss a thing.

Does XLD just dumps soundcheck values with alac to flac conversion?
Thanks for calming me down.

Re: XLD transcode and replaygain

Reply #1
SoundCheck is not compatible with ReplayGain, not the way you are suggesting. While it's possible to produce SoundCheck compatible tags from ReplayGain data, it's not really possible to translate them in reverse.

Reply #2
Thanks a lot for clarifying this, kode54. Great to know my library is okay.

Reply #3
As far as I know, it won't be applying the gain when converting. The most it could possibly do is translate the values to other tags. Well, unless it actually has an option to apply the gain. That sort of feature is usually left disabled by default, since it's destructive to the audio unless you also provide tags to indicate how to undo it, and there's still the issue of least significant bit(s) quantization errors that are not really recoverable when dealing with integer sample formats.

Reply #4
Well, I only had "Allow to write ReplayGain tags" checked, but to my knowledge it mostly applies to CD rips, at least I never mass transcoded audio to flac before to know otherwise. But all the fields where it could have been written lack the information, so I'm sure you're right on both accounts.

Great little community you've got here, chief :)

Reply #5
Thanks, even if I mostly earned this role through my ability to clean up messes. Seems I may have started a mess with migrating this forum to a new script, as it may have scared away some of the former readership. Well, assuming none of the original statistics were just spam bots.