Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem converting CBR 320 MP3 to VBR w/ CDex+LAME: window closes self (Read 4918 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem converting CBR 320 MP3 to VBR w/ CDex+LAME: window closes self

I want to convert my 320cbr mp3s with cdex and using an external encoder, lame 3.98.4.
I've set --alt-preset fast standard but it opens the encoding window for a sec and it closes itself soon after... nothing happens.

The same preset using the internal lame works, why not the external?
What is wrong?

Reply #1
I would suggest you convert your 320kbs mp3 with mp3repacker or reripp your discs again.

Read this
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Yeah, i read that page many times.
However why i should convert my mp3s with those programs?
Are they more accurated or are the only easier to use with lame?

Reply #3
mp3packer thread:
What it does:
Attempts to save space by storing frame data in the smallest possible frame. Usually MP3s are already stored in the most efficient way possible. However, for high-bitrate CBR files (like --preset insane) there can be a lot of wasted space

and

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding

Reply #4
I can't open mp3repack on windows7 x 64...
My only way is cdex... if someone could explain me what i'm doing wrong i'd be vary grateful.

Reply #5
Could you post more information about your settings for CDex and LAME? There’s not a lot for people to work with at the moment.

Does CDex have an option to leave the console window open? That would enable you to observe LAME’s response.

Also, it’s worth noting that, as described in the link provided by A_M_E_D, --alt-preset fast standard is outdated syntax; in modern LAME versions such as yours, it’s mapped to the basic setting -V2. I doubt this will be the cause of your problem, but just for info.

Reply #6
But wasn't CDex a CD ripper? I do not remember conversion option for CDex. By the way, mp3repack DOES works on Windows 7 x64.

Reply #7
It is a ripper, but it can also pass the resulting audio to an internal or external encoder such as LAME.

I can’t claim to know enough to make a strong statement either way, but I recall CDex’s extraction method being questioned for relying on cdparanoia, which (IIRC) can subject the drive to unnecessary wear and is less relevant as more drives nowadays support more optimal technologies such as AccurateStream, etc.

Reply #8
I've checked mp3 repacker but it don't seems to do what i want.
I just want to use cdex for convert my 320cbr mp3s in vbr mp3s using the alt preset fast standard parameter with external encoder lame 3.98.4.

Reply #9
Can I ask you why? have you tried dbpoweramp?