Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey's Audio command line (Read 8116 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey's Audio command line

I want to start archiving my collection in Monkey's Audio images, I know of this command line for EAC:

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

Wich works for creating seperate song files. But for creating an image the above line gives the image a tag with the name of the second track on the album, the external cuesheet works as expected with Burrrn and Foobar. What i would like is for the Image file's tag to NOT have the name of the second song on the album and to have an embedded cuesheet, what command line provides these results?

Thanks for helping!
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #1
Well, I've managed to fix the problem with the image file's tag with this command line:

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

As you can see, i removed the Title and Track fields from the line, so the image file has    an APE tag with only the album information on it. As for embedding a Cuesheet, i still don't know how it is done.

Reply #2
Well, I've managed to fix the problem with the image file's tag with this command line:

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

As you can see, i removed the Title and Track fields from the line, so the image file has    an APE tag with only the album information on it. As for embedding a Cuesheet, i still don't know how it is done.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't make images myself or use Monkey's Audio, but i think you can do it like this :

Synthetic Soul has made a version of wapet, where you can set a tag from an external file. You can download the latest version here :

[a href="http://www.neilpopham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wapet_0.5.zip]http://www.neilpopham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wapet_0.5.zip[/url]

Replace Case's original wapet with the one from Synthetic Soul.

Use this command line :

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" -f "Cuesheet=X:\CDImage.ape.cue" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

Insert your extraction path.

-Martin.

Edit: Actually i don't think that it's necesary to specify the extraction path, since i think that wapet will look after the file in the same directory as the image file, and the path to that directory is allready given with the %d switch in EAC...

Reply #3
Will try... thanks!

EDIT:

I keep getting an error from the encoder, i'm not sure what it is, maybe it's the command line:

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" -f "Cuesheet=X:\CDImage.ape.cue" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

Shouldn't the "-f" before the "Cuesheet=X:\CDImage.ape.cue" be a "-t", I already tried it both ways but always get an error. I am typing in the path to the cuesheet correctly, the one i'm trying to do goes like this: "Cuesheet=F:\Samuel's Music\CD Images\Ozzy Osbourne - Down To Earth.ape.cue", but i still get an error.

Reply #4
With the latest beta EAC doesn't write "CDImage.ape.cue" anymore. I think the following reflects what it does now (I don't have EAC where I'm currently at to check what I'm stating, so check yourself):

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" -f "Cuesheet=X:\%a - %t.ape.cue" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

What's the -v for anyway? (Haven't seen that before and don't have mac.exe here either.....)
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #5
I STILL get an error with Mr Rabid's line.

Reply #6
Yes, as I say I don't have EAC here, so I can't check anything, but I think I made an error, it should probably be:

Code: [Select]
%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" -f "Cuesheet=X:\%a - %g.ape.cue" mac.exe %s %d -c4000

If EAC does this: artist - album I think that is correct....
The switches are to be found in EAC documentation (in EAC directory).
Repeating: Don't have it by me to check....

-f are correct.
Version 0.4b1: (amendments by Neil Popham <neilpopham@bigfoot.com>)
(+) New switch -f "<tag>=<file>" to set a tag value from the contents of a text file

It's possible that you must put additional quotes around %a - %g, but I don't believe that.... experiment...

I would rather have used -c4000, BTW...

And still, can anyone explain what -v is for? (Taking it out of suggested line as I don't understand what it's good for.)

Reply #7
@skelly831

Try this :

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" -f "Cuesheet=%a - %g.ape.cue" mac.exe %s %d -c3000 -v

I have changed %t to %g which i think will make it work... (%t is track title and %g is album title...)

I have also removed the X:\ because i don't think you need to specify the path, since the Cue Sheet is located at the same place as the image file, but if it dosen't work, then add the path to the Cue Sheet again...

I would also like to know what the -v option is for ?

-Martin.

Edit: Mr_Rabid_Teddybear was faster + corrected %c to %g...

Reply #8
I don't know what -v does so i removed it from the line.

Martin: using %c for the album title won't work, %g will. But it's till not working.

The encoder window says:

wapet: failed to open  -  .ape.cue for reading

EDIT: I get a message from the encoder saying wapet cant open the cuesheet for reading.

Reply #9
The -v switch is for verify I think.

Reply #10
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327958"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like FLAC's -V?

skelly831:
Sure you are using the version of wapet Martin H pointed at? This is essential.

Otherwise it means that EAC doesn't expand %a and %g as it should, or the file naming is different (check EAC docs! You'll find a list of %t, %g etc. and what they mean, it's somewhere in EAC directory), or filenames are not quoted correctly before passed to wapet (try extra set of quotes round the filename) or path isn't read correctly (specify path)....

Reply #11
Triple checking everything...

EDIT:

yes, %g is for album title, %t is for track, wapet version is correct...
I don't think the path to the cuesheet is nesessary, i get the same error with and without the path to the cue.
Still nothing, does it matter that i'm using mac.exe 3.99?

Reply #12
This posting list the full set of parameters that can be passed from EAC, BTW.

Reply #13

Like FLAC's -V?

Not quite - you can't verify at the same time as encoding as with FLAC (therefore the intial command line was illegal).  You can only verify as an action in its own right.

@skelly831

Unless WAPET and the image (WAVE) file are in the same directory you will need to provide the full path to the cuesheet.

EAC will run WAPET from the directory in which it resides (not the directory of the WAVE file), and therefore a call like -f "CUESHEET=Artist - Album.ape.cue" will look for "Artist - Album.ape.cue" in the same folder as WAPET, or a folder in your PATH environment variable.

I tested using:

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Genre=%m" -t "Comment=blabla" -f "Cuesheet=C:\DOS\Testing\%a - %g.ape.cue" MAC.EXE %s %d -c3000

... and it worked fine.

NB: MAC.EXE will also have to be in the same folder as WAPET, or a folder in your PATH environment variable.

My folder C:\DOS is in my PATH variable, but for ease I would suggest that you put WAPET.EXE and MAC.EXE in your system32 folder, which means you can then just use them from any location without the need to specify a path.

You will still need to specify a path to the cuesheet though, unless your WAVE file is in system32 also...

Edit: If it's a pain to add the full path to the cuesheet, as the path changes, you may want to check out my guide at the URL below.  I use batch files from EAC to perform various tasks - including converting to APE and embedding the cuesheet.  The benefit of the batch file is that I can provide the full path to the cuesheet dynamically, by using batch file variables.  That said, I always create the image in the same folder (E:\CDBackup) - the flexibily is more so that other users can easily impliment the batch files without too much tarting about.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #14
Many Thanks to Synthetic Soul for clearing up everything, I finally got the command line working as well as the batch Files  .

Now I would like to know why Mr. Rabid recommends -c4000 over -c3000, I find Extra High quite slow compared to High and I only shave about 2Mb per image with Extra High.

Reply #15
I would recommend you to use WavPack instead... WavPack has fast encoding/decoding, Good compression, fast seeking, flexible(symmetrical/asymmetrical), Hybrid mode, OSI approved open-source, and the author David, is a really nice guy, which always is willing to help out if needed, or to take feature requests...

-Martin.

Reply #16
Drunk as I be, I prefere wavpack, and repaygaining the cuesheet before I embedd it, yes, because it doesnt work right otherwise, so I do 2 operation, because it works better in rippin' to wavpack+cue, replaygaining the cuesheet, then embedding it....

Reply #17
Actually I have tried WavPack, but in the end it just came down to either FLAC or Monkey's and either one would do the same thing, I really don't mind Monkeys' slower seeking compared to FLAC as I usually listen to albums all the way through. I do like Monkeys' faster compression tho, decoding speed is acceptable, altho i don't plan on doing it all the time, just for the occasional transcode or burning to CDA. Plus the monkey kicks ass.

Reply #18
After so much fussing over Monkey's Audio, I finally got around to REALLY trying WavPack, various settings and embedding the cuesheets with foobar, I have to say, I am very impressed, I am switching to WavPack.

Here's what i'm using with it in EAC:

-h -m %s %d

with Copy image & create cuesheet, then i embed the cue in foobar, and thats it, awesome...

Reply #19
If you want to embed the cuesheet while encoding (i.e.: without having to do it manually in foobar) you could use the "special" version here and use the command:

-hmw "CUESHEET=@*.cue" %s %d

The "special" version includes some code David is still working on to allow the use of wildcards when tagging from files.  The main benefit in this instance being that WAVPACK also searches the source file directory for the file, as well as the WAVPACK directory (with this in mind make sure that the folder with WAVPACK in doesn't contain a cuesheet).

Please note from David's post that this "special" version may break some hybrid switches.  In this post he confirms that there is no issue with lossless usage though.

Just a thought.  I haven't actually tried it myself yet.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #20
Or you can use REACT

Simply start REACT.exe and let it autoconfigure EAC. Hit F11 .. External Compression tab, and change 'lame' to 'wavpack' as first argument in 'Additional command line options'. Click OK, and hit F10.  It will rip, wavegain, compress, embed cuesheet,replaygain and other tags, all in one go! Make sure though, that WaveGain.exe and wavpack.exe are in your PATH, or in the EAC directory.

Reply #21
I'm wondering if i could add a subdir with artist during ripping.
If in REACT.ini i set "ImageNaming=\$artist$\$album$" and hit F10 all seems to proceed in the right way, the dir is created but the compression options used are those relative to the xxx-track section and not those relative to xxx-image.
Also, it is possible to embed eac logfile in the compressed image like for cuesheets ?
WavPack 4.3 -mfx5
LAME 3.97 -V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensitivity 1

Reply #22
With regard to the logfile:  The problem is that the log is not created until the external compressor exits.

I have gotten around this problem by using a two batch file system.  When batch file 1 exits it launches batch file 2.  However, as EAC is only watching batch file 1, it believes the process to have completed and creates the log.  Batch file 2 waits for the log, and then completes.

I see REACT uses a batch file to run the commands, so it's possible to employ a similar technique.  It would be easiest if REACT could provide the name of the log file (the log file name is simply the album name with illegal characters replaced with a space).  My script uses a big-ass function that does the job, but REACT could do it so much more easily.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #23
@proxima: It will not work to use subdirectories in ImageNaming. Windows accepts it, but EAC doesn't understand it.

@Synthetic Soul: No, the logfile is created when you press OK on the 'Extracting Audio Data' dialog. The Cancel button changes to OK when it is ready. REACT could close that window automatically after ripping, I suppose. In that case I should put in a small delay before the external encoder task begins its work, to make sure that the logfile is created before encoding starts. Finally, REACT could provide the logfile name in a variable, so this is the smallest problem.

I had also planned to rewrite the ini-file part, to make it simpler for users to figure it out. We'll see if I find the time..

Reply #24
No, the logfile is created when you press OK on the 'Extracting Audio Data' dialog.

Yes, of course you are right.  I keep getting myself confused on that one.

If you could close the dialogue automatically and provide a variable to refer to the logfile that would be superb.
I'm on a horse.