Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac+Cue (Image) ->individual mp3 & tags (Read 7637 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac+Cue (Image) ->individual mp3 & tags

I tried to put the whole question in the title.

Basically i want to take an Image of a CD in Flac that has a corresponding cue sheet, ie Album.flac & Album.cue.

I want to split the flac with the cue sheet and get the individual tracks encoded with mp3, and to have them with ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags, it would be nice to have apev2 and/or other tags but its not essential right now, and i would like to be able to determine the naming structure of the individual mp3s,

ie.

01 - Artist - Title1
02 - Artist - Title2
etc

I tried foobar, and although i am not well aquainted with it, i can't seem to get it to output the tracks with the naming structure i want nor can i get it to put ID3v2 tags or others.

ANyone have some suggestions?
:-)

Reply #1
Foobar is your best option, you need to set up the output file names the way you want them and also set up the MP3 tag writing the way you want it, once this is done your image+cue to MP3 transcoding will be easier than putting on pants!
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #2
I knew someone was going to suggest foo 

ok - the filename i can work out (hopefully) 

but to put ID3v2 tags and apev2 or other tags - any ideas? i don't believe foobar writes ID3v2 tags i think?

Reply #3
Open Foobar2000, hit Ctrl+P, on the column on the left, all the way down it says "Tag writing", click the "+" and then click on "MP3", choose your tagging preference.

Reply #4
I want to split the flac with the cue sheet and get the individual tracks encoded with mp3, and to have them with ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags, it would be nice to have apev2 and/or other tags but its not essential right now, and i would like to be able to determine the naming structure of the individual mp3s,

ie.

01 - Artist - Title1
02 - Artist - Title2
etc

I tried foobar, and although i am not well aquainted with it, i can't seem to get it to output the tracks with the naming structure i want nor can i get it to put ID3v2 tags or others.

If you are using v0.8.3, then you will need clienc + ID3v2 components and lame.exe :

clienc :
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/foobar2000/foo_clienc.zip

ID3v2 :
http://www.foobar2000.org/foo_id3v2.zip.

LAME 3.97b2 :
http://www.rarewares.org/dancer/dancer.php?f=35

Place the clienc + ID3v2 components into your foobar2000\components directory. Place lame.exe into your foobar2000 directory.

In fb2k, then go into "Preferences/Playback/inputs/standard inputs/MP3 tag writing"
, and select your prefered tagging formats that you want your MP3's tagged with. Then go into "Preferences/Diskwriter" and select any LAME preset under "Output presets". Then select "Edit", and change only the Parameter's field to what you want + change "Display Name" to match the new command line e.g. LAME -V2 --vbr-new, and leave anything else. You can use -V2 --vbr-new - %d if you want to(remember the - %d). I use -V5 --vbr-new - %d when i'm transcoding from my WavPack archive to MP3's... The tags are automatically transfered from the cuesheet to the MP3's... Under "Output File Name Formatting" enter this :

$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %artist% - %title%

If you want each album placed in it's own directory, then you need to add f.eks :

%artist% (%date%) %album%\

in front of the command line + checking the option "Create Subdirectories".

Then select "Save all" and close the preferences menu.

Now add all your files to the playlist and highlight them all(CTRL+A). Rightclick on the files and select "Convert/Run conversion" and then select "OK".

Reply #5
Man, I suck at explaining stuff...

Reply #6
Yup that did it - Foo doesn't give the choice of ID3v1 & ID3v2 plus others (ie apev2 or vorbis tags) so i think you would have to find another program to add those tags but foo was able to add the ID3v1&2 tags as Martin H explained.

Thanks to the both of you

PS - Skelly831 - you don't happened to work for Dell technical support? 

Reply #7
I tried to put the whole question in the title.

Basically i want to take an Image of a CD in Flac that has a corresponding cue sheet, ie Album.flac & Album.cue.

ie.

01 - Artist - Title1
02 - Artist - Title2
etc

ANyone have some suggestions?
:-)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349526"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes you can write a script using flac.exe. Something like this (source taken from flacattack):

// Encode to individual files
for(int i = 1; i <= tracks; i++)
{
  decode = "-d --cue=" + i + ".1- \"" + image + "\" -o temp.wav";
  callExe(pathToFlac, decode, "");
}

Reply #8
Thanks to the both of you
PS - Skelly831 - you don't happened to work for Dell technical support? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349905"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL!, at least i try to explain stuff, Creative's tech support always wants you to send everything back for a "check-up".

Reply #9
thanks for the foo tip, that seems the best way of doing it, as the files can be named and tagged appropriatly. Ive a similar question though, if anyone can help.

I tried to write a batch file for win xp that did this exact same thing through flac, shntool, and lame, but the batch file gets stuck at shntool. My directory structure is like such:

+ Band
+ + (Year)  Album
+ + + Image.flac
+ + + Image.cue

the shntool part of the batch is:

for /r %%f in (*.wav) do shntool split "%%f" < "%%~nf.cue"

After it decodes the flacs and moves to this part, I always end up with an error:

Code: [Select]
D:\Erich\Music\Album\Opeth>for /r %%f in (*.wav) do shntool split "%%f" < "%%~nf.cue"

D:\Erich\Music\Album\Opeth>shntool split "D:\Erich\Music\Album\Opeth\(1996) Morningrise\Opeth - 1996 - Morningrise.wav" 0<"Opeth - 1996 - Morningrise.cue"
The system cannot find the file specified.

If i type in just:

for %f in (*.wav) do shntool split "%f" < "%~nf.cue"

in the appropriate directory, it works perfectly, but in a batch file it fails. any thoughts?

thanks in advance,
~E

Reply #10
Try "%%~dpnf.cue" ?

I assume that this is a path issue.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #11
Try "%%~dpnf.cue" ?

I assume that this is a path issue.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352023"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

like a charm! many thanks

Reply #12
Greetings, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I had a few questions I wanted to add onto this:

If you are using v0.8.3, then you will need clienc + ID3v2 components and lame.exe

I've got fb2k v0.8.3 special, which includes those components, correct?  Therefore no need for me to download them separately via the links you provided?

I use -V5 --vbr-new - %d when i'm transcoding from my WavPack archive to MP3's... The tags are automatically transfered from the cuesheet to the MP3's...

I'm about to begin archiving each of my CDs to a single WavPack image + cuesheet, then at a later date transcode and split into mp3's as you just described.  I was under the impression that individual track titles aren't saved in the cuesheet info for a single image.  Does that mean I don't need to tag the .wv image with APEv2 when i first rip it?  If I did, how would I go about tagging an entire album that's in one file?  If the cuesheet is all I need, that'd make things a lot simpler. 

Under "Output File Name Formatting" enter this :

$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %artist% - %title%

If you want each album placed in it's own directory, then you need to add f.eks :

%artist% (%date%) %album%\

in front of the command line + checking the option "Create Subdirectories".

So if I wanted subdirectories and a format like this:

artist (year) album\track - artist - title

I'd use the string:

%artist% (%date%) %album%\$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %artist% - %title%

I realize it's repetition and you probably already answered the question, I just wanted to confirm I got all of it right before I begin such an undertaking (splitting up the formatting line threw me off...and "f.eks" = typo or an acronym for something?).

Thanks in advance!

Reply #13
The special installer should have foo_clienc and foo_id3v2.  Edit: you can confirm this simply by looking in your "foobar\components" folder for "foo_clienc.dll" and "foo_id3v2.dll".

The cuesheet will contain artist, album and title meta data - no real need to tag the WV file, although many do tag with artist-/album-related meta data.  Edit: Ensure that "Use CD-Text information in CUE sheet generation" is checked on the Tools tab of the EAC options dialogue.

Your output string looks fine.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #14
Yep, I went with a full install just to avoid headaches later...heh.  Doublechecked and both are there.

As for the metadata in the cuesheet...from reading the similar threads on single flac images, it seemed like only artist/album title were stored, but separate track titles, release year, etc., weren't included in the cuesheet.*  Just wasn't sure if the same applied to WavPack, but with your reassurance...it's off to rip I go.

Cheers, S_S...

*Edit: The wiki section http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_CUE_Sheets is a bit deceptive in that regard, as well...hence my confusion. Also took a look at your own CD Backup website...nice work.

Reply #15
Yeah,  that issue is specific to the FLAC CUESHEET meta block.  With WavPack you are just setting an APEv2 tag called CUESHEET to a value.

This or this  may explain further - but you really don't have to worry about it.
I'm on a horse.