Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Backing up to FLAC (Read 7184 times) previous topic - next topic

Backing up to FLAC

so im investigating backing up my collection to flac and have some questions.
i think i understand the cue thing a little bit. what i am looking at is the easiest way to carry out the ripping operation, hopefully ripping the tracks to flac and creating the cue sheet in one prog. i've researched and downloaded a lot of programs and have been confused by many. so is there a program that can do it all? also i use media monkey to manage and play my library and have experiment ripping with it. would it be easiest to just use that to rip and use a prog exclusively to create a cue sheet (i just found CDRCue)? im not really interested in ripping to wav then converting to flac and making the cue as the programs that i've investigated seem to do. thanks a lot for any help.

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #1
EAC can do this.  You may want to consider the REACT, AutoFLAC/AutoEAC and MAREO add-ons for EAC as well.

-brendan

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #2
Before recommending any software, (which would almost certainly be Exact Audio Copy if you really need cue sheets), I'm wondering:
Do you plan on ripping CDs into separate tracks, or in a single image file?
If into separate tracks, then what do you plan on using cue sheets for?

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #4
I have started backing up my cds and I use foobar to play them. I have been backing up whole albums. Ripping to flac and then adding the cuesheet in so Foobar reads and splits up the files right. I don't need them in images because I am not going to be ripping back to cd. I would rather have them in individual files but then how do you save the cue/file information easily within each flac file?

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #5
I have started backing up my cds and I use foobar to play them. I have been backing up whole albums. Ripping to flac and then adding the cuesheet in so Foobar reads and splits up the files right. I don't need them in images because I am not going to be ripping back to cd. I would rather have them in individual files but then how do you save the cue/file information easily within each flac file?

If you have them as separate tracks and aren't planning on burning them back to cd, what is the point in keeping a CUE sheet?

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #6
How do you know what they are? If they are separate tracks, it doesn't label the title, track number, and artist. Or is there a way to get it to embed all these things with original tracks. I just want within foobar to have my music labeled.

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #7
How do you know what they are? If they are separate tracks, it doesn't label the title, track number, and artist. Or is there a way to get it to embed all these things with original tracks. I just want within foobar to have my music labeled.

Embedding info inside of music files is called tagging. The FLAC format supports Vorbis Comment tags. EAC + FLAC can add tags during the ripping/encoding process (to individual tracks), or they can be added after-the-fact by many tagging programs (including foobar2000000). Any player that supports FLAC playback will almost certainly support reading of the Vorbis tag info.

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #9
Another quick question. I am wondering what the skip track if ___ times realtime occurs. I sometimes have tracks that have many errors and I want it to skip these. If I have a track with an error or two I would rather have it read through it. I figured this is what it was for. I have never seen it skip track even with multiple errors. I have it set on two now. I assume 1 is realtime or is there another way to do this. Or is the only way is just skip the track all together. The option right above it. Thanks a lot.

-Jeff

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #10
wow, ok, so my reply notification definitely did not work. um so i guess i dont really understand too much about the cue sheet. but i want to be able to burn it back in the future. and i like the player i use which doesnt support cues. and i prefer seperate tracks. so i've gotten EAC to work with flac and all but i have one more question. is there a way to make the filenames automatically work with flac on the cue sheet? or dyu have to go in and edit them? and if so does
Code: [Select]
FILE "01 I. Introitus, Requiem Aeternam. (Adagio).wav" WAVE

become
Code: [Select]
FILE "01 I. Introitus, Requiem Aeternam. (Adagio).flac" FLAC
?

also two that i just did turned out a little weird, i think, if someone could take a look at them. rnt they supposed to go straight down one filename per track if ur ripping that way?

Cue Sheet

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #11
Another quick question. I am wondering what the skip track if ___ times realtime occurs. I sometimes have tracks that have many errors and I want it to skip these. If I have a track with an error or two I would rather have it read through it. I figured this is what it was for. I have never seen it skip track even with multiple errors. I have it set on two now. I assume 1 is realtime or is there another way to do this. Or is the only way is just skip the track all together. The option right above it. Thanks a lot.

-Jeff

I have actually posted on the EAC forums about this. I dont think this function works. Often, with bad scracthes EAC brings my computer down. I would hope that using this would stop the ripping function.

Backing up to FLAC

Reply #12
k. Sounds good. I just stopped uysing it because never seemed to work. I was wondering that too. Maybe I'll try to research some to see what is up with it. If I find anything, I will let you know.