Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for compact amp+DAC for apartment; thoughts on TEAC AI-301DA?  (Read 2097 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for compact amp+DAC for apartment; thoughts on TEAC AI-301DA?

I'm looking to purchase a small desktop headphone amp and DAC combination for use in a small apartment. It's gotta be able to fit on a modestly-sized desk, and I need multiple inputs with input selection (at the moment, at least 1 USB + 1 toslink, or 2 toslink). This limits my selection and rules out some popular choices like the Element and the O2/ODAC combo.

Currently, I'm looking to drive a pair of Audio Technica R70x headphones (470 ohms), but the ability to hook up some bookshelf speakers (active or passive) later on would be appreciated.

As for performance, I'd like something more or less transparent. I'm not a stickler about noise, and I don't mind a small amount of audible hiss during quiet, but I would like to have a unit capable of more or less ruler-flat frequency response into a range of different headphones, and capable of driving moderately power-hungry cans.

My budget is not fixed, but I probably wouldn't spend above $500, and I'd rather keep it below that.

I came across the TEAC AI-301DA while browsing around some stores and the features and pricepoint (currently $362) seem like they can't be beat: a plethora of inputs, and integrates both headphone amp and speaker amp. I have no experience with TEAC gear, though, so I'm uncertain as to the quality I can expect out of it. I've tried to dig up some reviews, but aside from one reviewer that gave some scant details about speaker outputs measurements, I couldn't find any good objective tests. Most of the reviews babble about incomrehensible sonic qualities with statements like "Let [it] run in for a full day or so, for the sound to settle." I'm not eager to trust those.

Unfortunately specifications on the AI-301DA are scant. TEAC doesn't provide figures for things like frequency response or output impedance on either the speaker- or headphone-output, and only quotes the strength of the headphone output as providing 100 mW per channel into 32 ohms.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar units by TEAC? Would they recommend for or against it? Can provides measurements as to its audio performance that I was unable to find on my own? Or, could recommend other units altogether that fit my needs and budget?

Thank you.

Re: Looking for compact amp+DAC for apartment; thoughts on TEAC AI-301DA?

Reply #1
TEAC/TASCAM is a well-established brand.  Not sure how much more one can say.  That unit packs in a lot of features for a very reasonable price.  I have an NAD D 3020 which is similar in size and purpose.  It doesn't do DSD but trades one more digital input for an analog.  Haven't noticed any issues with noise nor distortion at the levels I play.  Buy from Amazon and you can return it if it doesn't work out.

Reply #2
It looks like a good piece. I had the predecessor model for a day or two but returned it due to an ergonomic annoyance: remote couldn't turn the volume on or off. Otherwise it was great. This one seems to have fixed that, and added an auto power on feature.

Like the old 300 model, amplifier modules are Icepower 50ASX2. The bigger Teac model uses Anaview modules, similar to the Icepower 125ASX2 and also used by Parasound in their CI market products.

Reply #3
I've seen the TEAC model, but decided to test the Denon PMA-50 (could be delivered in 24 hours by courier). I still have a few days before return date limit. The Denon is a bit cheaper and you can place it vertically (display rotates automatically the content). I found out it has a protective circuit (see thread). I think there's not much difference between both models.