Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about ABX tests... that i can't perform by myself (Read 3976 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about ABX tests... that i can't perform by myself

Hello,
Is there any ABX tests that had been performed by sending simultaneously the same signal (but differently encoded) to the two ears in order detect differences ?

Re: Question about ABX tests... that i can't perform by myself

Reply #1
Hello,
Is there any ABX tests that had been performed by sending simultaneously the same signal (but differently encoded) to the two ears in order detect differences ?

That's not an ABX test, but more importantly, it is not a sensitive test. Sensitivity is very poor. The concurrent sounds mask each other.

Reply #2
Hello,

That's not an ABX test, but more importantly, it is not a sensitive test. Sensitivity is very poor. The concurrent sounds mask each other.

We are unable to ear and compare the same (slightly modified for only one ear) sound by earring it with sealed headphones because our brain will take only one of them due to a psychoacoustic effect ?

Reply #3
...because our brain will take only one of them
I wouldn't say that.  Depending on the differences your brain may average them or if the difference is great enough you may hear the difference.

You should also be aware that your hearing in your left & right ears may not be identical.  ;)

I have not done these experiments, but recently I've been de-clicking a digitized LP and sometimes I can't tell whether the click is in the left or right channel before listening to the left & right channels separately.

...due to a psychoacoustic effect ?
Yes, that would fall into the field of psychoacoustics.

Reply #4
...because our brain will take only one of them
I wouldn't say that.  Depending on the differences your brain may average them or if the difference is great enough you may hear the difference.

I was thinking that my brain is unable to perform a fine analysis and memorise it fast enough to compare two encoded sounds by memory. (my brain is perhaps much slower than others ones)
It seems to me there is a weak point here, i'm confident that there is someone that have done it on the planet but the results hadn't been discussed much for a good reason !

You should also be aware that your hearing in your left & right ears may not be identical.  ;)

A test algorithm should be able to solve this problem by reversing the compared sounds aleatorically ?

I have not done these experiments, but recently I've been de-clicking a digitized LP and sometimes I can't tell whether the click is in the left or right channel before listening to the left & right channels separately.

I sometime find my wav exctractions sounding more "airy" (piercing effect caused by high frequencies above 10Khz) but i can't tell if it its due to my perception, immagination, computers hardware (fan), softwares, soundcards, speakers, room resonances, rare ear pinna resonance...

...due to a psychoacoustic effect ?
Yes, that would fall into the field of psychoacoustics.
I'm often surprised by how my perception is influenced by small doubts... in audio...  :D

Reply #5
I sometime find my wav extractions sounding more "airy" (piercing effect caused by high frequencies above 10Khz) but i can't tell if it its due to my perception, imagination, computers hardware (fan), softwares, soundcards, speakers, room resonances, rare ear pinna resonance...

So, download the FOOBAR2000 ABX Compariator, and do some proper reliable listening tests, and then you will know that its not due to your perception, imagination, etc..

Reply #6
I sometime find my wav extractions sounding more "airy" (piercing effect caused by high frequencies above 10Khz) but i can't tell if it its due to my perception, imagination, computers hardware (fan), softwares, soundcards, speakers, room resonances, rare ear pinna resonance...

So, download the FOOBAR2000 ABX Compariator, and do some proper reliable listening tests, and then you will know that its not due to your perception, imagination, etc..

Finally this test seems technically impossible for me.
I was expecting constant lobes after 10K from my new tweeters (reliable reputed manufacturer) and finally the beaming start to decline at 10K… it is exeptionnal but not enough.
It seems there is no technical soltions for a good rendering above 10K… i can’t expect an accurate rendering, it is just ambiant noise.