Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC vs. LZMA - one major difference (Read 10823 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FLAC vs. LZMA - one major difference

Reply #25
I do not endorse it as an HA admin, but merely as a tinkerer. It was created to show off my low latency resampler. It was never meant to be used seriously if you're after speed and quality at the same time. For that, I endorse the SoX resampler component, as it uses a high quality and also fast library, and was not designed for extremely low latency with support for varying pitches.

The Speex resampler may also be a good choice, but I'm not sure how well it handles low latency with varying pitches, as it was designed for a steady stream, while my resampler was designed for use in synthesizers.

I also endorse the SoX resampler component for a lot of the same reasons.  Haven't tried the others, although I like to mess with synthesizers a bit.

Reply #26
I'm sorry, was your issue ever fixed by either BASSMIDI (possibly not my version) or by XMPlay's MIDI plug-in?
Why say sorry? It is not your problem. I reported the issue in the un4seen forum and Ian kindly tweaked the resampling a bit and I am satisfied. As for the volume limiting problem I switched to ASIO as a workaround as described in this post:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104051.msg854152.html#msg854152

I also reported an issue about the Highly Theoretical plugin but it seems that the issue is fixed, now it is indistinguishable from the winamp plugin.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,98491.0.html

I must thank you for porting all these plugins to foobar2000.

Reply #27

Why? Would be cool if FLAC could detect this and save the data.

7zip uses delta encoding in its container format when needed. It has no other filters that deal with multimedia.
LZMA itself has nothing to do with it. LZMA is just a lz77 coder with range coding.

Reply #28
I disagree. This "certain moderator" does not appear to have made much difference in this thread. I am confident that it would have taken the same course without him.
And how do you know nhash was seeking knowledge? He didn't seem capable of handling it once it was coming.
I don't see much fault here. I am all for having some patience with newbies, but if they are outing themselves as pompous and short-fused ignoramuses, there is no point in making it comfortable for them. Their departure will not leave HA worse off.
You are right that nhash did not itself really lean himself into learning something. he pretty much tried to disprove anyone that tried to hand him info instead of listening. and misunderstood a lot of things.
nad it was pretty possible it would end the same way.
But attacking the guy on a semi personal level is defiantly not helping and especially not if you can see the debate is being rather intensive in a wrong way.
I know he was seeing knowledge cause he was asking a question. unless you believe it was rhetorical then asking a question to gain ans answer  is trying to get knowledge.

So in short. Was nhash a "trouble child" yes. But i think also some people could have handled it better. Xnor did a beautiful job in trying to explain some of the issues rather than just pointing and laughing at the issues.

I was being dead serious. If there are companies out there who honestly believe this is a competent way to process and deliver a product, I'd like to know who they are so that I know not to waste my time and money on them.
I agree with you that this seams absolutely horrendous  way to "improve" the listening experience. But without trying to provide some information beside just pointing out it horrendous is not really helpful for any body. They way you portrayed it i think could be better, especially considering your status.
You debated post did not seem to have any purpose, besides confirming yourself as being the "better" one, and this is something that shines through in a lot of your previous post when it comes to people with a misunderstanding of things.

I'm just saying if the purpose of creating Hydrogen audio was to improve on knowledge in audio compression field, i think a focus on helping someone understand why he is wrong is a way better approach than just telling him he is wrong.
But if the purpose of Hydrogen Audio was to have a place tit sit an share how elitist and good we all are and everyone is just so freaking dumb. Then lets just amplify the levels if not trying to teach a misunderstanding person.

We are in a really hard position. It is so easily to make false claims lies and deceptions. and so much more resource demanding making proper scientific proved claims. it doesn take an 12 trials ABX test to tell someone this monster brbaide platinum cable sounds better than anything else at just the cost of 10.000 dollars per feet. But for "us" to scientific trying to prove that we heard some precho in a mp3 files is going to take 12 trials we are in a handicapped position of "wining" the truth vs the lies.

There are more companies out there shooting out more and more  deception than ever ,and they have more resources than "we" do to do it.
We are outnumbered, outgunned and outsourced. And every man we could "convert" and learn the way of scientific evidence would be a huge win for the community.

But thats just my opinion.

Well, the main thing I like about HA is that there is a strict non bullshit rule. This can sometimes be a pain in the ass when it comes to opinions, but it's better than without.
I totally agree and i love the TOS 8. I wish more Forum and/or people would try to  debate things from a more scientifically correct way and providing real evidence.

TLDR:
- I agree Nhash was a "problem child"m but i still think it could be handled better.
- I agree that he method was horrendous, but it does not  help stopping it by just insulting a person instead of helping him.

Sorry for long offtopic post

Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #29
I know he was seeing knowledge cause he was asking a question.
His question amounted to nothing more than why can't flac be more like 7-zip (please, read his posts again).  This isn't going to amount to anything constructive.  This needs to be taken up with those involved with development, which, last I checked no longer frequent this forum.  I'm sure you're going to blame that on me too.

Naw, it wasn't about seeking knowledge.  He was here to seek sympathy and approval for his methods.  He got neither and, tbh, deservedly so.

But without trying to provide some information beside just pointing out it horrendous is not really helpful for any body.
Nonsense.  The answer to the question on quality falls on the ears of the beholder.  The OP is of the opinion that artifacts heard in antiquated video games is euphonic and seems to think this is commonly held.  Open disagreement should prompt any reasonably rational person to reevaluate his position, especially if he actually had an open mind and was willing to learn.  In this case it was clear his mind was closed tight.  For that I give no quarter.  Feel free to hate me for it.