Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Greatest Guitar Players Of All Times (Read 48104 times) previous topic - next topic

Greatest Guitar Players Of All Times

Reply #50
DAVID GILMOUR.

Just listen to Astronomy Domine (Ummagumma, Live), Wish you were here, Comfortably numb, We Got Married (Paul McCartney) and High hopes (Pulse).

Reply #51
...awww these kids...

...a thousand notes a second don't mean anything...

do you want feeling? do you want chicken skin?

Then I dare you to listen to Albert King's "I'll play the blues for you Parts 1 & 2", the song, not the album.

As soon as right in the middle of the song, he is about to begin his solo and he says "excuse me....", fasten your seatbelts...

And if you want to hear what's probably one of the best live blues shows ever recorded, then check the legendary Albert King's Wednesday Night in San Francisco  &  Thursday Night in San Francisco, Recorded Live at the Fillmore Auditorium, back in 1968. You won't regret it.

Love it or your money back!  All I ask is that if you like it, you send me a private message to say thanks and recommend me another MUST listen album. 

Limited playing, limited technique, limited speed, limited licks....ALL FEELING!

Jimi Hendrix was Albert King's biggest fan, he spent a lot of time learning his licks.

And the summit of feeling is B.B. King playing HIS note. He says more with that SINGLE note than any others with a zillion.

Reply #52
Eddie Van Halen

Reply #53
Let's see... I saw Leo Kottke listed a little earlier; anyone wanting a good starting point for his work should check out his very first album (it's the ideal starting point; no vocals, so all you hear is the guitar, and his "Vaseline Machine Gun" is a classic!): 6- and 12-String Guitar.

Another name no one seems to have noticed is "Spider" John Koerner... best known for his work with Koerner, Ray & Glover. My favorite of his works (Running Jumping Standing Still with Willie Murphy) doesn't show off his guitar as well as some, but it's a heckuva recording.

What about Randy California? I've seen I don't know how many posts exalting Jimi Hendrix, but Randy was in Jimi's pre-Experience band: Jimmy James & the Blue Flames. Later he went on to front his step-father's band, Spirit. For Randy solo, try Kapt. Kopter & the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds.

Are you into classical/jazz guitarists? Try Django Reinhardt. And fortunately, his work is being thoroughly restored on compact disc. There are two major volumes worth investigating (so far; as other recordings are located, JSP is remastering them for further discs in the series): The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order is a 5 CD set, followed by Paris and London: 1937-1948, a 4 CD addendum.

David Crosby might be described as one of the great understated masters of alternate tunings; check out his first (following the first break-up of CSN) solo album, If I Could Only Remember My Name...., which also features contributions by several other well-known guitar greats, including Neil Young, Paul Kantner (of the Jefferson Airplane/Starship) and half the Grateful Dead.

Speaking of the Grateful Dead, one of Jerry Garcia's most interesting solo projects isn't on any Dead/JGB album... it's on the remastered, deluxe edition of the soundtrack to Zabriskie Point. The producers took Jerry into a dark room, set up a projector and played the love scene over and over for him, and he played what he felt. The second disc of this set has four complete takes of his aural interpretation (over a half hour of pure music), while the soundtrack version on the first disc is a composite from a number of different takes. Essential. [For the David Gilmour fans, this soundtrack also contains seven otherwise-unavailable (officially) Pink Floyd recordings, including two attempts at the love scene.]

- M.

Reply #54
Dave Mustaine & Dimebag.... that's enough for me B)

Reply #55
PETER FRAMPTON

Reply #56
wow, I guess, they are listed now: Hendrix, Van Halen, Beck, Satriani, Ackermann etc.... What great moments of Music !! 

Reply #57
This thread has been dead for almost 4 years. 

Could this be a new "resurrection" record for HA?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #58
  ooopppsss, wasn't even looking at the dates....but you are correct, jct did pull it out of the timezone 

Reply #59
Zak Wylde

Reply #60
Okay, I'll try and single out one guitarist for each genre...

Classical: Andrés Segovia (worlds better than all the others in my opinion)

Flamenco: Vicente Amigo (most people would probably pick Paco de Lucía but I think Vicente has a more emotional touch and more interesting ideas)

Jazz: Jim Hall (not an easy choice but he's the one who impressed me the most with his innovative ideas and his technique)

Rock, Pop: Mark Knopfler (that's another easy one, no one comes near him in terms of expressiveness and composing skills)

Blues: Stevie Ray Vaughan (just plain crazy and amazing but more melodic than Jimi Hendrix)

Country: Chet Atkins (as a Mark Knopfler fan, you just have to pick Chet Atkins - the only one who could make Mark look like a beginner)

As far as Heavy goes, I can't really say; I don't listen to much.

That's my picks, what do you think?

Cheers,
Piffles.
Lame VBR Standard>Foobar v0.8.3>M-Audio Fast Track Pro>AKG K501

Reply #61
Okay, now that the thread is "alive" again:

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #62
Django Reinhardt (surprised he's only mentioned once)
Jimi Hendrix (obvious)
Robert Quine (my favorite)
J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)
Paul Leary (Butthole Surfers)
Rick Bishop (Sun City Girls)

Reply #63
Robert Fripp

Reply #64
Herman Li

that guy is a god

Reply #65
Allan Holdsworth - Suggested listing "Road Games" CD.  Your life will never be the same ;-)

Reply #67
Did anyone here listen to some Russian guitarists? E.g. Victor Zinchuk or Sergei Mavrin?
Taking into consideration all countries, i like Yngwie Malmsteen, Sergei Mavrin, Timo Tolkki and ex-Sentenced guitarists: Miika Tenkula & Sami Lopakka. And Victor Smolski!

Reply #68
Robert Johnson. Everyone is just an attempted imitation.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #69
It's criminal how little mention Les Paul gets in this thread, considering that he's maybe the only person who you could say is clearly _far_ more influential than Hendrix or Robert Johnson on modern guitar music.

OTOH, all my top 10 picks have at least been mentioned in the thread.   

My top 10 in no particular order (though on another day Clapton might be off in favor of one of 3-4 others).
Les Paul
Django Reinhardt
Chet Atkins
Andres Segovia
Paco de Lucia
Richard Thompson
Jimmy Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Robert Johnson
B. B. King

Reply #70
For me?

Andres Segovia, of course

There's another one, but he's not a world-known guitar player. He's famous though in my country. His name is Jubing Kristianto. Sample his guitar mastery by downloading some MP3s from his personal website here ( http://geocities.com/jubing/index2.html ) and tell me what you think

Reply #71
Steve Harris, Iron Maiden. Not many can play bass the way he does!

Reply #72
John Petrucci, Adrian Belew, Roine Stolt

Reply #73
Steve Harris, Iron Maiden. Not many can play bass the way he does!

If we're admitting bass, Victor Wooten and Danny Thompson get votes too.