Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Songbird 0.7.0 Beta (Read 5948 times) previous topic - next topic

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

I must say that new Songbird looks to me more and more like foobar2000, quote from Songbird website:
We've completely redesigned Songbird to make it simpler and more intuitive.

Its my personal view that this looks very very good, I will give it a one more try

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #1
I must say that new Songbird looks to me more and more like foobar2000, quote from Songbird website:
We've completely redesigned Songbird to make it simpler and more intuitive.

Its my personal view that this looks very very good, I will give it a one more try

It looks like they are working on a modernized MusikCube.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #2
Does it still become unusable when you have a few 1000 tracks in the database? How often does it crash now?

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #3
Just tried it, and yes it does seem much better than the previous releases. Especially like the new GUI, very nice. As usual, the things that annoy me though:

* No support for Album Artist / Band tag.
* No support for Disc tag.
* Can't add or change columns in playlist (why isn't there a track number column?)
* Doesn't pick up all of my Album Art (not sure why as they're all folder.jpg's)

If they could fix them (and get Replaygain and Gapless playback support from GStreamer) I'd switch from foobar2000.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #4
If they could fix them (and get Replaygain and Gapless playback support from GStreamer) I'd switch from foobar2000.

Why? What are Songbird's advantages over foobar2000?

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #5
Just updated today on my Mac. Its a good alternative until I can get Darwine to work with foo_dop.

But...
[rant]I hate how it decides to re-write the iTunes database every time I plug my iPod in.
Its not very CPU friendly either.
Oh and how many times a week must they update the english language file [/rant]

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #6
Why? What are Songbird's advantages over foobar2000?

The fact that Songbird is multi platform. I use Windows and Linux in equal amounts, therefore having a command music player across both would be really good.

Foobar2000 is good for library management, replaygain scanning and other utilities, but I like the more simplistic UI of iTunes, Songbird et al for actual music listening.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #7
J. River Media Center or the FREE J. River Media Jukebox is by far the best out there.
Media Center Features

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #9
I'd just switch from foobar200 if Songbird would do:

* Masstagging
* ReplayGain Calculation
* File Operations (Del, Ren)
* Async Converter
* Bit-compare
* EQ
* Kernel Streaming

I know some of it is only done via FB2k plugins, this is the problem when you get used to so much modularity, you can't let it go.
Songbird looks promising though, specially for us Linux enthusiats that never made the final step as towards using absolutely no Microsoft software.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #10
J. River Media Center or the FREE J. River Media Jukebox is by far the best out there.

I see nothing on its site that says what platforms it runs on, so I assume it is Windows only, and therefore has nothing to offer to those of us who would like something like f2k on the *nixoids.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #11
"Powered by Mozilla" (the inverse Mozilla power) - No, no need for another Mozilla resource, cpu and startup hog.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #12
As usual, the things that annoy me though:

* Can't add or change columns in playlist (why isn't there a track number column?)
* Doesn't pick up all of my Album Art (not sure why as they're all folder.jpg's)

1) There is Album Artist tag. Just look at file's properites.
2) If you mean disc #, it is there too.
3) You can add or remove any columns including track number.
4) The reading of album art is not very good yet. This needs to be improved.

I just started developing an addon for this player which changes layout. It uses the same system of extensions as Firefox. You can add almost any functionality with an extension. It still has some drawbacks and missing features compared to foobar2000, but it is the best multiplatform player. It looks very promising, especially with the plan to switch to GStreamer backend. That should enable custom equalizer, gapeless playback, replaygain, transcoding and many other useful features.

Songbird 0.7.0 Beta

Reply #13

As usual, the things that annoy me though:

1) There is Album Artist tag. Just look at file's properites.
2) If you mean disc #, it is there too.
3) You can add or remove any columns including track number.
4) The reading of album art is not very good yet. This needs to be improved.

I just started developing an addon for this player which changes layout. It uses the same system of extensions as Firefox. You can add almost any functionality with an extension. It still has some drawbacks and missing features compared to foobar2000, but it is the best multiplatform player. It looks very promising, especially with the plan to switch to GStreamer backend. That should enable custom equalizer, gapeless playback, replaygain, transcoding and many other useful features.

That's not sufficient enough. The Filter does not have Album Artist / Band tag.

So you get into problems explained here.