Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SACD Software Player? (Read 37902 times) previous topic - next topic

SACD Software Player?

Dark Side Of The Moon has been released in SACD format only, ignoring DVD-Audio.

Maybe because they don't want AC3 or DTS quality rips of the 5.1 tracks spread  all over the internet, I don't know?

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a software version of an SACD player, like the Creative version for DVD-Audio thats bundled with the Audigy2 ?

I've been hanging for the 5.1 release of this album for years, and now it seems the only way I'm going to enjoy it, is to buy and expensive hardware player that's practically non-existent here in Australia.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #1
To my knowledge, there are no solutions for high-definition SACD layer playback on computer. Not yet. And maybe never.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #2
To my knowledge, there are no solutions for high-definition SACD layer playback on computer. Not yet. And maybe never.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=202264"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

is this still up to date?

i need such a softwareplayer too

SACD Software Player?

Reply #3
You're still out of luck.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

SACD Software Player?

Reply #4

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is NOT a software problem, but a hardware one!

SACD Software Player?

Reply #5
FYI: You can get the "quadraphonic" 4ch DTS release of Dark Side of the Moon.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #6
Haven't Sony shut down their project to provide DSD hardware support end-to-end (from recording to playback)? I think it's time to declare DSD and by extension SACD to be dead. It's a shame though.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #7

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's both. The lack of PC hardware to read out data and the lack of software able to decrypt & decompress the stream. It's a long way to get the raw DSD stream.

Sebi

SACD Software Player?

Reply #8
Haven't Sony shut down their project to provide DSD hardware support end-to-end [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312799"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe only in the PlayStation 3 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #9
SACD is physically basicly a dvd thus it should be possible read one using a dvd drive with haxored firmware but the lack of software player and decrypter would render the effort fuitless.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #10
SACD is physically basicly a dvd
Yes, that is right. But with some nasty differences compared to a normal DVD. Basically it is something like this: DVDvsSACD. The (strange) difference is in the third block, resulting in the DVD-ROM drive thinking that the disk is empty. (this originates from a correspondence with the author of DVD Decrypter). Besides that, I have reason to believe that the physical track is not a "circular" in shape, but is modulated in shape. The mean is still "circular" but the actual track is not. No wonder why normal DVD-ROM drives cannot even read it! But I am not 100 percent sure about this.

Regards,
Jacco
Logical reasoning brings you from a to b, imagination brings you everywhere.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #11
..so any SACD software around ?
really ?

SACD Software Player?

Reply #12
really ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348167"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']NO.[/span]

SACD Software Player?

Reply #13
really ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348167"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SACD Software Player?

Reply #14
Dark Side Of The Moon has been released in SACD format only, ignoring DVD-Audio.

Maybe because they don't want AC3 or DTS quality rips of the 5.1 tracks spread  all over the internet, I don't know?

It could be because it was originally an analogue recording, so DSD is more suited.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #15

It could be because it was originally an analogue recording, so DSD is more suited.

er...no.  (What makes you think DSD is 'more suited' to an analog source than , say, 96/24 PCM, which is standard on DVD-A?)

SACD Software Player?

Reply #16
hi if you have an x-fi card the media player that comes with it plays dvda and sacds, i have recently got a new pc (without x-fi) and was looking for a another (non creative) player, if you put a sacd into your drive your media player (wmp or winamp/ whatever) can read the cd and even give track names but plays the music as white noise, there must be a software player that can play these files?

SACD Software Player?

Reply #17
Don't SACDs have a normal redbook CD layer? That's probably what you're seeing.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #18
i'm not 100% sure, but my amp says its 96khz 2 channel sound when i play a sacd in my current pc (and it plays) could this be a hybrid disk, and its just playing the hybrid part? i dunno, but on my old pc i could play multichanel sacds, now i cant, stereo only... sacd in question is this http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/709893/Sup...re/Product.html i could set my old pc up again and see if it plays multichanel or just 2... i also have a proper pioneer sacd/dvda player to play them on (not in my pc)... also if it makes a difference i play sound from the pc directly to an a/v amp connected by analog and digital optical leads, is the sticking point our dvd/cd drives reading the sacd? cos i only have a couple id sacds and a few on cdr's would that make a difference?

SACD Software Player?

Reply #19
Does it only say 96 kHz for that SACD? I suspect you have your Windows audio set to 96 kHz, and everything is resampled to that frequency. That's what normally happens without using exclusive mode in Vista and Win 7.

SACD Software Player?

Reply #21
There are some sony VAIO laptops with SACD and DSD support.

Re: SACD Software Player?

Reply #22
I only know two hardware configurations beeing capable to decode SACD for capturing the audio data:
1. early Sony PSP3
2. modified Oppo Multi Player

There are a lot of ripped SACD-R "on the marked" which can be played by foobar2000 with SACD plugin.

Simply put in a SACD into a common computer and play it is impossible. There are some data on a SACD that can't be read by a common DVD drive.

CU, Tom