Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Authoring DVD-A disc from 5.1 audio extracted from DVD (Read 21485 times) previous topic - next topic

Authoring DVD-A disc from 5.1 audio extracted from DVD

Hi all. I am new to the forum and a little inexperienced as far as digital audio is concerned, so please forgive me if my question is naive. I am looking to extract the 5.1 audio portion from a few of the Genesis boxed set DVDs and re-burn them to DVD-A. I have a new Acura RDX that has an awesome Elliot Scheiner-designed sound system but it won't play dual discs that have both DVD-A and DVD-video. I have done some scouting around but I haven't seen a solution that is understandable to me. First step seems to be to extract the 5.1 audio tracks from the DVD using [moderation: name removed], but it is not clear to me how to get them burned and playable in 5.1 on a DVD-A. One option may be to encode them using SurCod for DVD-DTS to make a DTS-CD but the encoding software has a hefty price tag ($250). It would also be cool if I could extract the 5.1 audio from some of my other concert DVDs for playback on DVD-A but I am out of my league here and would appreciate any guidance.

Cheers, and thanks in advance,

Rick

Reply #1
Hi and welcome. Please read the Terms of Service, to which you verified agreement during registration, and note that #9 proscribes any discussion of methods to circumvent copy-protection. DVDs use such technology, so extraction of their media cannot be discussed here. Any replies should refrain from referring to said process or otherwise face moderation.

Talk of authoring is fine, however.

Reply #2
There is free option for burning them onto DVD-A, http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/index.html. You have to link it with your Twitter account, though, and it will tweet everything you have been doing with it - which album is burned or transcoded... it can burn DSD discs, but I have never done it, so I cannot verify it.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
I don't have a DVD-Audio player, and I've never attempted to make a DVD-A disc, but Wikipedia has a Wikipedia List of DVD-A Authoring Software.

But, you may not need to do that...  If you have a non-encrypted AUDIO-TS folder, you can simply burn that folder to a blank DVD-R and you're done!

I am looking to extract the 5.1 audio portion from a few of the Genesis boxed set DVDs and re-burn them to DVD-A. I have a new Acura RDX that has an awesome Elliot Scheiner-designed sound system but it won't play dual discs that have both DVD-A and DVD-video.
Are you sure those discs have DVD-A?  DVD-A should be in the AUDIO_TS folder, so check to see if the AUDIO_TS folder is empty.    (I don't see any reason why the player wouldn't simply ignore the VIDEO_TS folder which contains the audio & video for the regular video-DVD.)

One option may be to encode them using SurCod for DVD-DTS to make a DTS-CD...
If your player can't play Video DVD, it's very-unlikely that it can decode DTS, since DTS is not part of the DVD-A stancard.  (Some video-DVD players can't decode DTS either, and all DVDs with DTS are required to also have either an LPCM or Dolby AC3 track, which all video-DVD  players are requred to support.)

Re: Authoring DVD-A disc from 5.1 audio extracted from DVD

Reply #4
I'm afraid, this won't work for all players. Most of them tread the data sector nit file name oriented. The correct sector data are listed in some files of the AUDIO_TS folder. Simply burn this folder onto a DVD will result unmatching data.
That's why software copies of DVD-Audio are "distributed" as ISO.

I'm not shure if this works, but you could try ImgBurn.
Add an empty VIDEO_TS folder and try to create an ISO of these two folders. ImgBurn may correct the sector data within the AUDIO_TS folder.

IBut, you may not need to do that...  If you have a non-encrypted AUDIO-TS folder, you can simply burn that folder to a blank DVD-R and you're done!