Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dither (Read 3150 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: dither

Reply #25
Noise shaping was preferred with the poor quality 16 bit converters of the past, but with modern converters it's not really necessary. A lot of professional audio engineers now stick with TPDF, for the aforementioned reason, as well as for the fact that if any further processing is done to a lossless file (including encoding to a lossy format, or even a gain change), the effects of noise shaped dither will be completely irrelevant and could lead to audible distortion. With no shaping/TPDF it's less of a problem.

If you really wanna get your head around dither, then I can highly recommend Ken Pohlmann's book, "The Principles of Digital Audio". If you read, absorb and understand that, you'll be in a much better position to discuss it.

Reply #26
Alright, maybe I am not as advanced audiophile as the others here, so my posts could be searching for knowledge rather than proving it.
Hydrogenaudio is full of knowledge. Do search more, there is much to find.
Anyway I tried the SoX command line program and find its dither options promising.

Also it is discussed (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_aliasing.php) that some cheaper (but common) sound card can exhibit playback aliasing at upper range frequencies which can compromise the statement about not hearing the shaped filters, since it can manifest as different sound/distortion in lower range.
Now that you became an expert please explain how aliasing makes shaped dither more audible? Samples welcome.
If anybody experienced can discuss e.g. TPDF, TPDF shaped, modified-e-weighted, low-shibata etc. it could be probably beneficial.
Been there, done that. Even posted about my findings and i use low-shibata, others may like others more.
Please tell us how all the above shapes sound to you, offer samples and where it is problematic and audible, come back when you've done that and surprise us.

I really like to have a harder #TOS8 enforcement because many noobs palaver around to much.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #27
Noise shaping was preferred with the poor quality 16 bit converters of the past, but with modern converters it's not really necessary.
Modern converters are better than 20bit these day easily it seems. So in that case no one shapes.
In the case here we talk about foobar using shaped dither when going to 16bit from HiBit content.
We can leave out if lossy encoding wastes bandwith for representing the dither.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!