Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem with certain components after each update (Read 4130 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with certain components after each update

Whenever new stable version of foobar is out I install it over old one. I install lots of 3rd party components that enable new file formats/sound formats. 3 of them are foo_midi, foo_input_tak, foo_input_ofr and whenever I install new version of foobar, installer throws that they are incompatible with this newet version of foobar and will be deleted... OK, foo_input_tak and foo_input_ofr weren't updated from some time, but after I put them again in components directory they are just accepted again. I don't know weather they really work as I don't have any TAK or OptimFROG file, but it's my freakness that I want my foobar installation to be potentially able to open whatever sound file I find, anywhere. Anyway - after putting them again and rebooting foobar they appear again in components list in Preferences Dialog. But I completely can't understand why it happens with foo_midi. It happens since first time I installed this component and it happens despite I (nearly) always have the latest version of thic component. Yestarday I updated to foo_midi v. 1.194. 15 minutes ago I updated to fb2k v. 1.2.2 and again foo_midi was thrown out as well as TAK and OFR decoders... What am I doing wrong? Or maybe it should be just like that ? No I got back to restore them into main components folder...

Thanks in advance for any help/explanations.

Reply #1
The installer is probably failing to load the whole lot of those because they have external dependencies which aren't being satisfied due to the installer not adding the components directory to the DLL search path.

Also, foo_midi updates often enough that it's probably not worth keeping it in the player directory, unless it's the user-components subdirectory in a portable install.

Reply #2
foo_input_tak requires tak_deco_lib.dll, and foo_input_ofr requires optimfrog.dll. Where did you put these dlls?

Reply #3
Probably in the components directory, along with the components, which makes it impossible to use the built-in update checker to track changes to those components.

If the installer actually tracks updates to components in the user-components directory, it adds the components' own directories to the search path with SetDllDirectory before attempting to load them, but doesn't add the main components directory when searching the components there. Of course, that directory is usually restricted to just the components that are bundled with the player, and none of those bundle external dependencies.

Reply #4
@lvqcl : I keep them both in main "components" directory - inside "Program Files (x86)\foobar2000" directory - just as they were extracted from .zip. I keep there all components (I just manually install them by unpacking downloaded .zip/.fb2k.component files) except Audioscrobbler - I want other users of my computer to use full potential of foobar, except I don't want them to scrobble their music to my Last.FM account  . Should I move them somewhere else? As far as I remember there wasn't any specific instructions about tak_deco_lib.dll and optimfrog.dll - where they should go. I remember that only one component (but Idon't remember which one  ) required putting the libfftw.dll into main program directory instead of "components", so I did as it was said in instructions.
@kode54 - No, I don't have portable installation - just the standard one. What do you mean by "not worth keeping it in the player directory" ?

EDIT:
I found that in case of OFR decoder everything is OK. From offcial readme.txt :

"To install the input plug-in:
  - copy foo_input_ofr.dll and OptimFROG.dll into foobar2000/components/"

I found that in case of TAK decoder something is messed. Older 0.4.4 version, still available to download at foosion's website has .zip with tak_deco_lib.dll in main directory, and foobar's input plugin in subdirectory "components" plus there's subdirectory "icons" with icon. In newer 0.4.5 version, available at official foobar2000 website zip file contains just foo_input_tak and tak_deco_lib in root, without any subdirectories - that's why I put both files in "components" directory. So where should tak_deco_lib go ? to main program or components directory?

Reply #5
It seems that fb2k installer cannot load these additional DLLs from 'components' folder.

Reply #6
The problem has been fixed, an updated installer should be available soonish.

Really, though, the user-components directory was introduced so that the player may update components from the official repository whenever an update check is invoked by the user. The user-components directory lives wherever the configuration files do, and contains each component in its own subfolder.

You're welcome to continue installing your component updates manually to the Program Files directory, though.

Reply #7
After 1.2.3 beta 2 and beta3 has been released I can confirm that indeed everything was fixed  I don't have that annoing messages about components being "incompatible with this version of foobar and will be deleted..". And they really aren't removed and are working after foobar update (at least foo_midi  )

Reply #8
Hi,
I have a problem with installing foobar in general.

I had version 1.1.15 until yesterday. I saw that my last.fm scrobbler wasn't working so I saw there was a new version of foo so I downloaded it.
After that the scrobbler still wasn't working (it says it works only on versions 1.1 ....)  so, after all that I uninstalled the entire foo and downloaded 1.2.3 beta 3 and during installation it says "This beta version is over 4 weeks old. Please update to the latest version".
So, why am I getting that msg if I'm downloading the newest version?

Thank you!

Reply #9
check your system date/time.

Reply #10
check your system date/time.

Oh... it's March 11th on my pc for some reason 
Didn't expect that

Thank you 'marc2003'!

BTW, any chance last.fm scrobbler will be available with 1.2 versions of foo? 

Reply #11
i assume you mean florian's component and not the official client? it works fine with the current version of foobar but it does require the correct date to work. last.fm would obviously reject scrobbles from the future.

you'll lose any cached scrobbles but you'll need to delete your old config file. hold down shift, click on file>browse configuration folder. now close foobar and open the configuration folder in explorer. delete foo_audioscrobbler.dll.cfg. start foobar again and make sure you go back in and set your last.fm username/password in the preferences.

Reply #12
i assume you mean florian's component and not the official client? it works fine with the current version of foobar but it does require the correct date to work. last.fm would obviously reject scrobbles from the future.

you'll lose any cached scrobbles but you'll need to delete your old config file. hold down shift, click on file>browse configuration folder. now close foobar and open the configuration folder in explorer. delete foo_audioscrobbler.dll.cfg. start foobar again and make sure you go back in and set your last.fm username/password in the preferences.

Hmmm.. I don't have this file foo_audioscrobbler.dll.cfg
only foo_audioscrobbler.dll in components.

And yes I have Florian's scrobbler

Reply #13
In the configuration-folder, not components.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #14
In the configuration-folder, not components.

Wait, i'll try to install it again.

EDIT:  Success!  I guess the problem was that my pc was living in the future

Thank you marc2003 for pointing out that possibility and thank you Andreasvb!