Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [0.9.5] Media Library fails to recognise changes in filepath case (Read 1620 times) previous topic - next topic

[0.9.5] Media Library fails to recognise changes in filepath case

It's not a serious bug, but rather a visual annoyance:

When changing the case of a file or directory the media library doesn't update the filepath to the new actual value automatically. Only way to make it adopt the changed case is to remove the directories temporarily (move them out of the media library path and delete the tracks from the library using "remove dead entries"), then rename and enqueue them again, losing all playback count data.

ML should recognise these subtle changes of the filepath on the next access of a file (i.e. playback or reloading tag data), although here it is a convience of Windows to ignore case when opening files for reading and take character case into account when creating files leading to an inconvenience in user programs like foobar2000 when the user wants to "correct" this annoyance.

edit:typos

[0.9.5] Media Library fails to recognise changes in filepath case

Reply #1
It's also possible to have duplicate files in the Media Library where the only difference is capitalization in the path.  I'm not sure if this is exactly how it happened, since I didn't notice it for almost a year, but my best guess for steps to reproduce is:

1) add a file from the Media Library to a playlist, then save the playlist to an FPL file
2) rename the media file, changing only the capitalization.  In my case, I think I used the Masstagger to do the renaming.
3) load the FPL saved in step 1.

I think step 3 is what creates the duplicate entry.  I didn't think it was that big of a deal, though, because I just fixed my saved playlists and then nuked the library.  (BTW, I do have a copy of my old database.fpl that would probably have the duplicate entries in it, if that would help)