Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting wavs with EAC (Read 4915 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting wavs with EAC

Hi,
I have a question about gaps... My preferred method of ripping is to rip to multiple wav's and create a cue sheet for multiple wav files with gaps (noncompliant). However, I sometimes have been ripping to a single image, using "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet". Now, I wanted to make sure that I was splitting my images in a way that gave me the same files as ripping to multiple wav's in the first place would have given me. As far as I know, my EAC is configured correctly, and I use secure extraction. Here's what I did today with two different CD's:

1. Rip to multiple wavs using "Copy selected tracks".
2. Rip to single wav using "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet".
3. Split my single wav using "Split WAV By CUE Sheet / With Gaps".
4. Split my single wav using "Split WAV By CUE Sheet / With Gaps Corrected".
5. Compare each single track version with both others using EAC's "Compare WAVs" function.

I'll refer to the tracks in step 1 as the originals.

For the first 10 track album, every wav created in step 3 matched those in step 1. All tracks from step 4 matched the others, except for tracks 5 and 6. For track 5, the original was reported as 0:00:00:666 longer. Track 6 had different samples in position 0:00:00:000 - 0:02:13.199 for both the step 4 version and the original, and the step 4 version being 0:00:00:666 longer that the original.

For the second 16 track album, every track matched except the first track from both step 3 and step 4. The step 3 version had different samples 0:00:00.000 - 0:00:00.122. The step 4 version had different samples 0:00:00.000 - 0:05:02.226 and the step 4 version being 0:00:00.440 longer than the original.

Can anyone explaint to me why these differences occur?    Thanks!

Splitting wavs with EAC

Reply #1
"Split WAV By CUE Sheet / With Gaps" will split the image to individual tracks with the gaps appended to the previous track.

"Split WAV By CUE Sheet / With Gaps Corrected" will split the image to individual tracks with the gaps appended to the next track.

-Martin.

Splitting wavs with EAC

Reply #2
Read, in The ESSENTIAL Ripping Guide for EAC, the chapter about "Gaps & CUE Sheets" otherwise known as "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Gaps, But Were Afraid to Ask".

Sergio

Edit: Changed URL to the ripping guide, per author's indications.
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Splitting wavs with EAC

Reply #3
Thanks for your replies. I have read the info, but I still don't quite get it. However, it's kind of late in the evening and I'll have another go after a good night's sleep...

Could you tell me though, is it not possible to create the exact same wavs from a single image rip as you get with a rip to multiple wavs? Or will this depend on each album's cue sheet, with or without gaps?

Splitting wavs with EAC

Reply #4
Ripping to multiple files you will loose the pregap of the first track (if any). Not very important unless you are as anal as I am about having a "perfect" backup of your CDs *OR* if the pregap contains an hidden track.

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)