Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fhg aac vs qaac (Read 7162 times) previous topic - next topic

fhg aac vs qaac

hi guys. just would like to ask what are your thoughts.  i already know the results concerning the latest listening test.  a while back, i read that quicktime has some problems before like some samples having dynamic range compression problems, terrible pre-echo problems and tvbr bugs.  is it still the case? as for fhg aac, i still haven't read any problems although it ranked lower than quicktime in the latest listening test.  already did an abx between the 2, i can say they both sound the same to me.  but since im somewhat the obsessive-compulsive type of person,  i just want to hear from your experiences and recommendations especially to the ones who have golden ears.  thanks

fhg aac vs qaac

Reply #1
if Apple AAC encoder had  "a dynamic range compression problems, terrible pre-echo problems and tvbr bugs" then it could be reflected in the results of public tests.

It's not the case. 

fhg aac vs qaac

Reply #3
If You are OK with both Apple and FhG why care about someone's opinion? Both encoders have high quality.  It's your ears. We are all different.

In case of a spoted artifacts You can simply try both encoders for yourself and/or jump to high bitrate.

P.S. FhG AAC encoder is relatively new here so it got less issue reports.

fhg aac vs qaac

Reply #4
If You are OK with both Apple and FhG why care about someone's opinion? Both encoders have high quality.  It's your ears. We are all different.

In case of a spoted artifacts You can simply try both encoders for yourself and/or jump to high bitrate.

P.S. FhG AAC encoder is relatively new here so it got less issue reports.

thanks for the reply.  from your personal experience, which from the two would you prefer?

fhg aac vs qaac

Reply #5
If we go by preferences I like Apple and use Apple True VBR but like IgorC said, it doesn't really mean anything.