Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Substitute for E-MU 1212m (Read 4544 times) previous topic - next topic

Substitute for E-MU 1212m

The machine I built many years ago died. It has am E-MU 1212 I used for converting vinyl & tape. This card had many option to chose from.
I looking for suggestions for a new card PCIe with about the same options. Something with RCA in puts.

Reply #1
...for converting vinyl & tape.
So, I assume you have a phono preamp and you just need line-level inputs?

The soundcard that comes with your computer may be adequate.  Often, the line-in and line-out are good.  The only thing I'd worry about is noise.  If you are not getting excessive nose, the other important specs (distortion and frequency response) are generally better than human hearing and better than analog records & tape.  (I don't recommend using the microphone input on a regular soundcard or laptop for anything "serious".)

If you want to upgrade, you'll find more high-quality options if you look for an external USB audio interface.    Just look for one with line-inputs or switchable mic/line inputs.      If you want something economical, the Behringer UCA202 is a popular choice.  They also make a similar model with switchable line/phono inputs.

Something with RCA in puts.
The Behringer units have RCA connectors.  But, the most popular connection on external interfaces seems to be a combo 1/4" TRS/XLR connector, so you might need an adapter.

Reply #3

If you want something economical, the Behringer UCA202 is a popular choice.  They also make a similar model with switchable line/phono inputs.

Thanks, I've looked at that.
The 1212 has 24-bit/192kHz, the Behringer UCA202 "High-resolution 48 kHz converters for high-end audio quality"
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reply #4
If you really want a PCIe card then,
- there's a PCIe version available for 1212M - http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=19169
- equal quality/price PCIe card with RCA I/O ... ESI Juli@ XTe - http://www.esi-audio.com/products/juliaxte/

Thanks, I've seen the PCIe 1212M on their site but can't find one available to purchase. However they have win7 drivers for this card. I'm playing with the idea of pulling the PCI card from the old box and installing it in a new mother board.
The swappable Juli@ XTe is a very interesting design. It has the right specs. Looks like plan "B" right now.
A lot less to choose from than a few years ago. Good thing I'm not paranoid or I'd think the industry was trying to limit high audio in put for pc's.

Thanks again.

Reply #5

Thanks, I've seen the PCIe 1212M on their site but can't find one available to purchase. However they have win7 drivers for this card. I'm playing with the idea of pulling the PCI card from the old box and installing it in a new mother board.

Your 1212PCI should work on W8 with W7 drivers if you get those installed.

Looks like E-MU models are slowly fading away from markets (not long ago Thomann.de had 1212M (PCI & PCIe) in stock, now only 0404 PCIe & couple USB models) ... is Creative ending the E-MU story ...?

Reply #6
If you want something economical, the Behringer UCA202 is a popular choice.  They also make a similar model with switchable line/phono inputs.

Thanks, I've looked at that.
The 1212 has 24-bit/192kHz, the Behringer UCA202 "High-resolution 48 kHz converters for high-end audio quality"
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For the difference in costs I'd rather keep the money in my pocket. It isn't a vast amount, but its at least a Benjamin, several Jacksons, and some Abes. ;-)