Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is D2P & DoP? (Read 17875 times) previous topic - next topic

What is D2P & DoP?

Hello,

Just updated firmware on my music player and one of the upgrades was "Added DoP and D2P options to S/PDIF output;"

What does this mean?  Looked here and the web and could not find a description of what DoP andD2P are.

Thank you.

Re: What is D2P & DoP?

Reply #2
Thank you for the link.  So now I understand DoP.  What, though, is D2P?  I can only think it is DSD to PCM, but if so, how is that different from DoP?  Or is that explained in the article and I just missed it?  Thanks.

Reply #3
Sorry, I'd just be guessing about D2P.  Ask the people who mentioned D2P what D2P is.

Reply #4
DSD over PCM and converting DSD to PCM.

I'd avoid both because both use DSD. :P
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #5
Thanks.

I did, I posted in the FIIO forum but I think the forum is in Chinese (I am just looking at a Google translateion) so I am not sure how my question will translate.

Thanks for your opinion of DSD.  I will see if my player has the option not to use either ...  I am not sure offhand.

Reply #6
Thanks for your opinion of DSD.  I will see if my player has the option not to use either ...  I am not sure offhand.
If you have DSD files (or SACD discs) then you'll have to use something to play them that will involve DSD. If you don't have any such files, then you don't have anything to worry about.

Reply #7
Yea, this is where my ignorance comes into play.  All I know is that my player has a menu selection for "SPDIF out" either DoP or D2P.  So it seems I have to choose one or the other. On a music site I belong to I was told to use DoP since it would be considered lossless.  Now whether my player has DSD that I am not sure but I am investigating it to find out more.  Thank you for your answer.

Reply #8
Do you have DSD files?
Do you play them through your player?
Do you use the digital S/PDIF output?
Is that output connected to a DSD-compatible (and DoP compatible) D/A converter or DAC?

If the answer to any of those questions is no then I'm not sure why you are concerned with that setting.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #9
D2P is conversion of DSD files to a PCM stream.
DoP does not do this conversion,  leaving the DSD file/stream largely un-converted.

Set your Fiio output to whatever the target device will accept- PCM, or DSD directly.