Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suggested for consideration: iTunes Plus vs. neroAacEnc vs. Lame 3.98  (Read 10934 times) previous topic - next topic

Suggested for consideration: iTunes Plus vs. neroAacEnc vs. Lame 3.98

Now that Apple has finally enabled what appears to be Quicktime's highest quality encoding for the iTunes "Plus" preset, would it be worth conducting a listening test to determine the relative standings of the current contenders?

• iTunes Plus @256kbps
  • iTunes (standard) @256kbps ABR (optional)
  • neroAacEnc @~256kbps VBR
  • neroAacEnc @256kbps CBR (optional)
  • Lame 3.98 @~256kbps VBR
  • Lame 3.98 @256kbps CBR (optional)

- M.

Reply #1
would it be worth conducting a listening test to determine the relative standings of the current contenders?
I think, if previous listening tests are any sort of indication, it's very likely that they're all going to be transparent on non-problem samples. 

So then what are you wanting to compare exactly? Average filesize?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Go for it if you have the ears.  Otherwise you probably aren't going to hear any difference between all three encoders.  I would be curious to see how the iTunes Plus setting stacks up to Nero and Lame.  I would still never use such a high bitrate setting as Nero produces transparent results at -q0.45--q0.50 for me but that doesn't stop me form being curious.

I think that you might have difficulties matching up the bitrates though.  From my experience, the iTunes Plus setting tends to produce files at around 280kbps while -V 0 averages files at about 260kbps.  I never tested Nero at -q0.60 but -q0.50 produces file at around 190kbps for me.  I don't know if a 20-30kbps difference would drastically affect things but it might be something to think about.

Reply #3
Unless one of those encoders are horribly glitched, all my submissions would be 5.0

Reply #4
Are we certain that the iTunes Plus setting is using VBR and not VBR_Constrained?

Reply #5
Are we certain that the iTunes Plus setting is using VBR and not VBR_Constrained?

iTunes Plus is VBR_Constrained @ 256kbps using the highest quality setting of the encoder.

Reply #7
Well I wouldn't be able to participate in such a test because all these settings will be transparent for me.

I wouldn't mind a new 128 Kbps test featuring LAME 3.98.2, the latest Nero AAC encoder and the new CoreAudio AAC encoder in OSX 10.6.