Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Track/Artist information by disc number (Read 1686 times) previous topic - next topic

Track/Artist information by disc number

Hello everyone..

I am here today because im trying to find out how to make my MP3 files into a cue file, and have the disc number (from freedb) included.. because that number is what my xbox 360 recongizes and then automatically auto-tags all the artist/track information.

how do i get the disc number on to my mp3s.. then save that as a .cue?

thanks for your help, i love this program

Reply #1
A freedb discid must be derived from the original CD's table of contents (each track's offset from the start of the lead-in). MP3s are going to be close but not perfectly able to provide this info. I wouldn't trust a discid derived from MP3s. You'd have to write your own tool to do it anyway.

If I were you, I'd look into tagging by other means. foobar2000 has some capability, but I prefer mp3tag.

Reply #3
i also use mp3 tag.. and it has the option for the disc ID/disc number.. which is what my xbox reads and uses to get artist/track info..

but my problem is that i dont really know how to use mp3tag to properly tag the songs with the disc number, and then make that into a .cue file.

i found out about .cue files last week, when i downloaded a torrent that had one. i opened the .cue up in imgburn and then burnt the cd..
to my amazment the CD had all album information on it, and the xbox/computer could read it.

i read that xbox uses the Disc id number form freedb to auto tag albums that we pop into our 360 consoles.

so i want to know how do i get a disc id number on to mp3, and then make that into a cue to burn off

thanks

Reply #4
Ohhhh, you want to be able to burn an audio CD from MP3s, and you want the discid to be right, so that your Xbox will fetch the right metadata when you insert the CD?

Unfortunately, the freedb discid is calculated from track layout info in the CD's TOC. It's not a tag, not a number actually written to the disc. My guess is that some MP3 albums will "just work" (have a track layout that yields the right discid) when you burn audio CDs from them, and others will produce discids that are off by a little, compared to the original CDs.

What you have to do is ensure that the burned CD has the exact same track layout as the original CD. Unfortunately, this is not so easy if you have a track-by-track rip, rather than a disc "image" rip. Since each track was ripped separately, the rip of track 01 is not going to start with the split-second of silence that's in the pregap/HTOA section (on the CD you'd have to rewind from the start of track 01 to reach it). A lot of CDs don't have this track 01 pregap, but many do. It affects the offsets of all the other tracks, and thus affects the freedb discid calculation.

The discid calculation does give you some leeway to be off by a little, but to ensure an accurate discid, you should probably take care that every MP3 is decoded to the right number of samples before burning. Look for MP3_ACCURATE_LENGTH "yes" in the Properties window in foobar2000. If your MP3s don't have this, there's a good chance they'll decode to be a fraction of a second too long (exactly how much will vary from file to file). Even if they do have that property, I would not trust burning software to decode them to exactly the right length. Instead, I would use foobar2000 to pre-convert them to WAV for burning. Each should be a multiple of 588 samples.

Reply #5
thansk mjb2006. you answered everything i needed to know. i did not think it would be that hard to make mp3s into a cue that that also had the right disc id so xbox could read the metadata correctly.

thanks a lot, no one else could have helped me more. take care, god bless