Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nomad Jukebox III by Creative (Read 4973 times) previous topic - next topic

Nomad Jukebox III by Creative

Anyone already owns one of these babies? For Belgium they're on pre-order and I'm very curious to how good they really are...

All the reviews on the web are unanimously positive and looking at the specs of the thing I would say there can't be too much wrong with it (except the cheap headphones of course).

All user experiences welcome!

Deej
No inspiration

Reply #1
I have the NJB 1 and has very serious problems, like the 48 kHz resample issue(don't know if Audigy suffers this too), bad written OS and (this is not really a problem) lack of other format support than MP3 or WMA.

Reply #2
I suppose that was all fixed in the JukeBox 3, or at least I hope so cause I ordered mine and should be getting it in the following days or weeks at worst...
No inspiration

Reply #3
I think amp has gotten confused with the Creative soundcards as the jukebox is ofcourse a portable mp3 player.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #4
although I have never seen a "bad written OS" on a Sound Card
No inspiration

Reply #5
My two points were:

1st, NJB I uses the same chip as SB Live!: EMU10K1. This chip has the resample flaw, both as a PC soundcard and with the NJB device. If I'm not wrong, NJB III it's using the lastest chipset from Creative (the same as Audigy). My tought was: 'has Audigy the same resample problem than EMU10K1?'.

2. Obviously, I mean the NJB's OS.

bad written OS and (this is not really a problem) lack of other format support than MP3 or WMA.

It's clear that format support isn't related with a soundcard, but yes with a device like NJB.

Reply #6
Oh cool, sorry for my misunderstanding. Thanks for info.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #7
Well I got it today and I must say I'm pretty impressed by it: the audio quality is definitely amazing! On a good system from Philips I can't tell the difference between the CD player and the Jukebox 3 with alt-preset standard. I know I don't have golden ears but one of my very early rips of a Peppers album with BladeEnc @192 kbps (I didn't know about Lame at that time yet ) definitely sounded worse then the cd...

Anyways, the 20 GB disk is fulling up rather nicely. Using USB is a slow b*tch but luckily I have a SB1394 port on my Audigy and man that thing is fast...

Playback as said is good, too bad it doesn't crossfade. Sometimes after pressing next there's an annoying delay of 2-3 seconds between tracks, hopes this get fixed in anext firmware.

Speaking of firmwares, I haven't attempted to upgrade it yet so I better try that first, but not just yet.

The little remote control is one of those nice little enhancements which makes the JB ideally positioned for the car. You just have to put the Remote somewhere handy (I stuck it to the flap that u have to protect you from the sun (don't know the correct English word for that but for u wiseguys, it wasn't the roof )) and it's easy for skipping tracks.

Final note: Software as usual with Creative was a bit tricky to get installed since it managed to screw up Zonelabs (reinstalled that one and worked fine again)...

Anyways, conclusion: top product! hope it'll do the song loading a bit faster in the future and perhaps one day it'll have Ogg Vorbis support!

Cheerio,

Deej
No inspiration

Reply #8
Have you tried using Lame gapless yet on your Nomad 3? I have been experimenting with it but there is still a minor pop as the track changes.
cash, ass, grass...noone rides for free...

Reply #9
No actually I haven't. I'll give it a go since now you made me curious on what the Nomad will do in this case
No inspiration

Reply #10
any luck using Lame's nogap feature with the nomad III?

I've used bladeenc with success, but with lower quality, so I tend to have 2 rips of live/mix albums (one long uncut version encoded with Lame and the other cut version encoded with bladeenc).

I'd prefer to use Lame as my do-all encoder.

TW