Skip to main content

Topic: 32-bit floating-point (WAV) files "in the wild" (Read 698 times) previous topic - next topic

• Porcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
32-bit floating-point (WAV) files "in the wild"
There are a few of these out on the 'net by now. I can only speculate that more artists use software that work with such files, and more often than before an artist will upload a file without having to worry whether to save bandwidth by going mp3.

But why? Of course there will always be someone who on purpose will upload the biggest files they can, but I know that not all of my files were intended to be uploaded in that format ...
Is it so that these DAWs do not even tell you that these are not your "usual" WAV files? (What does Audition do? I'm too lazy to download a trial version just for this.)

Just curious.

• jsdyson
  • [*][*]
Re: 32-bit floating-point (WAV) files "in the wild"
Reply #1
In my little world of Linux/Unix and Windows command line, I use the utility sox (the command name is actually soxi), and that is how I normally determine what kind of data/sample rate in a wav/mp3/flac/etc file.   The utiiliies that I write also automatically display the data type/rate.   My own 'normal' data type is 32bit float (or 24bit signed int for flac), even though I normally produce 16bit to send to others.  So, the best bet that costs NO money is to use the command line soxi.   Also, I happen to know that Audacity (free GUI audio software) displays the data type also ( i use Audacity once in a while.)   A wonderful (almost lossless) tradeoff is to use 24bit signed flac, which ends up being not far different from a 16bit wav file in size.

John

• bennetng
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
A very horrible thing with float 32 file is they can be encoded in different "normalized" fashions. If the decoder misinterpret the format, the result will be horrible full scale square wave-ish like crap which may destroy your equipment. I experienced this nightmare several times, sometimes in foobar2000, sometimes in Audition.

Of course, in DAWs if people find the decoded waveform looks like crap, they won't hit the play button, but that's not the case with typical audio players.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85641
  • Last Edit: 22 October, 2017, 03:41:17 PM by bennetng

• jsdyson
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
A very horrible thing with float 32 file is they can be encoded in different "normalized" fashions. If the decoder misinterpret the format, the result will be horrible full scale square wave-ish like crap which may destroy your equipment. I experienced this nightmare several times, sometimes in foobar2000, sometimes in Audition.

Of course, in DAWs if people find the decoded waveform looks like crap, they won't hit the play button, but that's not the case with typical audio players.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85641
oh my!!!   Most of the files that I have dealt with are +-1.0 floating point, but I do know that it is theoretically possible to sent out files with bigger numbers.  I always believed that +-1.0 floating point is the same as +-32767  for 16 bit signed -- and so be it...  So, you have seen different?   But of course, invalid files with >+-1.0 (assumed that they were invalid) should be clipped and/or flagged.   In between running my Unix pipelines, I do (incorrectly, I believe) SOMETIMES during my experiments,  take advantage of being able to deal with greater than normal floating point values.   For example, I might have an expander whose output might peak at +-2.828 (just as an example) due to exceptional material, but then future normalization stages will fix it.  On the other hand, 'sox' will complain about such files, and probably should process the file if the results are correctly normalized,  or MAYBE SHOULD BASED UPON COMMAND LINE FLAGS simply bounce the file somehow?.

Your point about nonstandard floating point values is definitely a valid issue, however.  (By the way, the term normalized/un-normalized has a specific meaning the the floating point realm -- when the term different 'normalization' was used -- I assumed being able to handle differing/odd ranges of values, right?)
So, to me, it seems like the FP format  should be standardized, or avoided for interchange.  I suspect that for most (all) PRACTICAL purposes, the signed 24 bit should be sufficient, but wonder if it also has such scaling issues?  (I use 24bit only so that I can use flac with reasonably high resolution.)

John Dyson

• Porcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Thanks for the warning. And thanks to ReplayGain and fb2k's preamp option that turns down files w/o RG info ...

There could be a lot of different signals in a WAVE file (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653308.aspx - date says 2007, but a version was around before y2k), but I don't think I have seen music published as anything but 16-bits integer, 24-bits integer, whatever-32-bits-that-WavPack-can-contain - and one single IMA ADPCM.

• Nick.C
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #5
David made a change to WavPack to permit the storage of floating point audio using the same compression method as for integer audio (around the time I was developing TransPCM - which can output Float16 audio from several different inputs).

For Float16, I made use of the full range, i.e. ±65504 at the top end to ±5.96046E-08 as the minimum subnormal, giving a range of 1,098,975,582,421:1 (or approximately 40 bits) with up to 11 significant bits.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848| FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S-