Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dot (Read 9611 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dot

dot control v0.1

This simple plugin creates a small control in a top left desktops corner.

left click      - show main window
right click      - hide main window
shift + left click   - switch to previous track
shift + right click   - switch to next track
middle click   - play/pause
mouse wheel   - change volume

download

foo_dot

Reply #1
Have you've considered using another corner for this?
After all, in the top left corner you have the system menu, which it is very common to doubleclick on. In the top right corner you have the close button. In the lower left corner you may have the start button. In the lower right corner, however, is only the notification area or the Show Desktop button.
How do you handle multiple monitors?
Stay sane, exile.

foo_dot

Reply #2
Also, genius, another component bundled in a non-ZIP archive, so the archive can't be installed directly with foobar2000 1.1. Instead, the user must open the archive with their favorite archive reader application, then unpack it somewhere, then point foobar2000 at the resulting .dll.

foo_dot

Reply #3
After all, in the top left corner you have the system menu, which it is very common to doubleclick on. In the top right corner you have the close button. In the lower left corner you may have the start button. In the lower right corner, however, is only the notification area or the Show Desktop button.

It's too small when inactive.

Nohow

Also, genius, another component bundled in a non-ZIP archive, so the archive can't be installed directly with foobar2000 1.1.

ZIP suxx

Instead, the user must open the archive with their favorite archive reader application, then unpack it somewhere, then point foobar2000 at the resulting .dll.

It's easier if you're not a lamer

foo_dot

Reply #4
OR as I requested earlier...that the unpacker services are used when installing components, and not just zlib1.dll >.>

Doubt that will change though.

foo_dot

Reply #5
ZIP suxx
But is the lesser of two evils I guess.
It's easier if you're not a lamer
Do you think 10 KB difference in size is more important than the ease of use? And your claims are contradictory. The component you developed is all about making life easier, isn't it? Well, the Foobar's installation feature is about the same.

As for the subject, I think you should go further. I'd like to have a 1 pixel-wide bar at the edge of the screen (so to have an infinite width or height according to Fitts's law), probably not only with clicks but also with gestures, all assignable to any actions. It'd be nice and I would use it. That's actually what I miss for a long time (once I made a very small Winamp skin with forementioned features, but I don't use that player anymore). I could make it myself, but for some reason I'm still failing to. So may be it's up to you

Oh, and it would turn to a tiny bar with the track title when the user hovers the pointer over pixel wide line. And it's not just an auto-hidden toolbar, because you can use it without even pointing to controls on that bar.

foo_dot

Reply #6

Nohow

I cannot parse any of those replies. You do not seem to understand neither of the two issues I raised there, and reply with inane gibberish.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_dot

Reply #7
Do you think 10 KB difference in size is more important than the ease of use? And your claims are contradictory. The component you developed is all about making life easier, isn't it? Well, the Foobar's installation feature is about the same.

This is not about filesize. Also I developed it to make MY life easier
Ok, I'll use zip in future releases.

I cannot parse any of those replies. You do not seem to understand neither of the two issues I raised there, and reply with inane gibberish.

Try to read again

foo_dot

Reply #8
Also, genius, another component bundled in a non-ZIP archive, so the archive can't be installed directly with foobar2000 1.1. Instead, the user must open the archive with their favorite archive reader application, then unpack it somewhere, then point foobar2000 at the resulting .dll.

although I'm with you, as a notice, you can dragndrop the plugin from your archiver's gui to foobar's "componets list" preferences dialog.

foo_dot

Reply #9

Nohow

I have read your attempts at communication several times, and cannot relate them at all to my questions.

1) "It's too small when inactive." - What does this have to do with my concern that you have chosen a corner that is commonly used in all other maximized applications? I was simply outlining the common actions for all four corners, and recommended the one that did not have an associated action on most Windows versions and taskbar layouts, and has a rarely used function in Windows Seven.

2) "Nohow" - I'm told that this is some direct translation of "I don't handle this". It helps if you use terms that are understandable by other cultures.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_dot

Reply #10
v0.2
- actions work on button release
- fixed losing of TOPMOST flag after fullscreen applications
- shift+click and middle click don't grab focus
- added xbuttons handling

download

todo: skins, config

foo_dot

Reply #11
v0.3
- mouse hook disappearing in windows 7 at high cpu usage fixed
- settings
- mouse flips

download

Re: foo_dot

Reply #12
rebuilt with x64 support
download

Re: foo_dot

Reply #13
Hi.
@den_po

Thank you for the useful component.
The version is still 0.3, so please change it.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HIFIMAN ANANDA, HIFIMAN Arya, AKG K712 PRO, SONY MDR-1AM2, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself) Shall I write more?