Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony, Warner, Universal and EMI to launch CMX album download format (Read 7972 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony, Warner, Universal and EMI to launch CMX album download format

Reply #1
Oh god, proprietary format... who know what kind of trojan horse garbage these guys will get in there. Sony? The 2005 rootkit story needs its own holiday, lest people forget.

Reply #2
Sony is also involved, I would expect, as the supplier of compatible DAPs that will undoubtedly be required to play the content on anything other than a PC/MAC.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #3
While I don't agree with another bloated proprietary music format (one that violates the law especially) by the industry giants I do understand what they are saying. It's just not a good way of going about doing it. In one sense they are trying to maximize their greedy profit revenue, but it would be interesting if people actually downloaded albums for more then one single. You can't judge whether or not you are going to like an artist based upon one single.  This applies to independent records as well as artists who fall under anyone of the "big" labels. What the hell would the purpose be for any artist to produce a record anymore?.  This personally doesn't apply to me, because I buy all of the albums that I like for cheap money in a used CD shop rip and encode them myself as I am sure a good portion of HA does!
budding I.T professional

Reply #4
Yay... yet another proprietary format, from the major greedy record lables along with the Pro-DRM support from Sony.

Gennaro Castaldo, of HMV, said: “The price of a CD has come down massively in recent years, and there are year-round promotional catalogue campaigns that represent incredible value, such as two CDs for a tenner. This means that tracks on physical albums can often work out quite a bit cheaper than their digital counterparts.”

Pfft, i never seen any good cheap CDs at my local HMV, just the manufactured pop and conformist crap. Those bastards charge about £15 - £25 on some non popular music, e.g £18 for a Megadeth CD and £20 for The Fragile by NIN  . Sadly i have to order my CDs from online, since HMV and the Supermarkets (don't get me started on that) are the only stores were i live that sells CDs.

And ever since Music Zone in the UK closed down, HMV jumped up the prices like typical greedy corp f**ks do  .
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #5
I listen to Argentinian rock and those are pretty cheap from Amazon US, even the more obscure ones aren't more than $11, and are "Imports".

Reply #6
I'd like to see the specs on this format and how it works. If it's open sourced and built well, without using too proprietary formats and still following a strict specification I believe it could become a success... But it needs to be widely supported by hardware and players. Tools should also allow users to build their own sets from existing files. If it doesn't comply to most of this, it will fail miserably.

Personally I like that there are more focus on graphical content. I.e. why don't we have a Squeezebox-alike with cover-support? Making it more interactive may even be more attractive.

Is this the format announced about a year ago that promised separate tracks for the mixing, so eventually guitar-enthusiasts could easier learn to play tracks by attenuating or even isolating guitar-tracks?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #8
"Ours will be a file that you click on, it opens and it would have a totally brand-new look, with a launch page and all the different options. When you click on it you’re not just going to get the ten tracks, you’re going to get the artwork, the video and mobile products". ~ Stuff Magazine

PS. Please, allow me to quickly translate this: "Ours will be a file that you click on and see commercials ..."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #9
why don't we have a Squeezebox-alike with cover-support? Making it more interactive may even be more attractive.

http://www.olive.us/products/opus4_overview.html
http://www.olive.us/products/melody2_overview.html

Nice ones, however I was thinking about something with a larger display
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #10
Jesus. They already have an album format. It is called DVD-Audio.

Distribute it in zip form, allow provisions for displaying album/track info as PDF instead of DVD-Video, allow easy access to the track MP3s/AACs. And shoot Sony twice. And you're done.

... to say nothing of, say, Matroshka?

Reply #11
In theory this sounds like a good idea. But there's a lot of if's, some of which have been covered already. My biggest thing is price. If they charge typical prices, its going to be a non-starter. Why should I pay 18-20 bucks for this when I can buy the used CD for 6-9 bucks a few months later? Or get it for 6.99 off of yourmusic.com.

Also, I"m not paying full price for some crappy mp3. I'd rather be able to download the whole album in FLAC, like you can do for Gov't Mule, NIN etc.

The bigger and more important issue that the music companies are trying to put lipstick on is that very few albums today have more than 1-2 tracks that are really good. Quit pushing crap music. Make better albums. People will listen.

Reply #12
I'd like to see the specs on this format and how it works. If it's open sourced and built well, without using too proprietary formats and still following a strict specification I believe it could become a success...

I'm with you all the way, but more often than not, these new formats are only introduced as a way to inject new forms of DRM. Yeah, you get the album artwork, videos and exclusive digital whatevers, but you also end up with a proprietary DRM system that prohibits you from using any of it in a meaningful way.

... to say nothing of, say, Matroshka?

Using Matroska would be obvious, logical and sensible, which means they wouldn't even consider using it. Anything they don't have absolute control of is just unacceptable for these guys.

Reply #13
I agree - I certainly wouldn't welcome yet another proprietary format!  Didn't we go around that pole already?  Didn't they learn their lesson?  Ugh.

This is an interesting quote from the article:
“It is the great conundrum of the age: what would an album look like online? "

Huh?  Great conundrum?  Give me a break.  It's really quite simple - the album would look like a directory with a series of FLAC files representing each album track accompanied by a PDF file that includes artwork and liner notes.  What's so hard about that?  I've been buying music like this from MusicZeit.com for a while now.  It's not difficult.

This is not a problem to be solved by yet another stupid proprietary format, which will likely not be a)gapless or b)lossless.

Reply #14
This sounds like it will be another ATRAC3, ATRAC3plus, Liquid Audio, etc.  There is absolutely nothing that this "one file" business can offer that I can't already get through the iTunes Store.  Sure, my files are all split up but I can play them back on ANY computer with AAC compatible software (the same goes for the music videos, most of them are DRM-free now).  I can also play them back on my Creative Zen, Microsoft Zune, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, PSP, PS3, car CD deck (via a data CD or USB storage device), and various other devices.

I guess I don't see the appeal in having one file that contains the album, artwork, and any music videos.  I can already do that now by taking an album downloaded from iTunes and putting it in a RAR or ZIP package.  Besides, if the past has shown us anything, it is that consumers don't like proprietary DRM and they won't purchase files so long as they don't work on their portable players.

Reply #15
Do people even watch music videos nowadays? I guess it was a fad for a while, but now even MTV doesn't show music anymore. They took care of ruining music with this video fad anyway, which made people focus on image first, music second. Those bastards made Milli Vanilli possible. I also blame Canada for Celine Dion, but that's another issue altogether.

Reply #16
Music videos are still made and distributed through the iTunes Store, they often also come on special editions of albums on a bonus DVD.  Music videos have been able to last for more than 20 years, I wouldn't call them a fad either.  Just because MTV, VH1, and now MTV2 have decided to abandon showing actual music videos doesn't mean that they aren't around.  Milli Vanilli and others may have made the populous look at music videos first but there are still gems floating around.  Thriller from Michael Jackson (even though I don't like his music, that is one of the best music videos ever), Freak On A Leash from Korn, pretty much any music video from Rammstein, etc.  The advent of the video capable iPod means that people are now carrying music videos around in their pockets.

That is why I don't understand this new file.  It won't work on iPods.  That right there means that the format is dead before it even comes out.  Millions of iPods are sold in the months of October, November, and December.  That is a huge market base that this file simply ignores.  Lastly, history has shown us that people are more apt to purchase a few singles (through online distribution) than they are entire albums.  I know that the record companies think this new format will fix that but it won't.

Reply #17
I am as much worried about CMX, as Apple doing their own too (ALAC, the App Store...).
Their description sound like a flash application that plays the music. The complete opposite of what we could call compatibility.

Reply #18
Those bastards made Milli Vanilli possible. I also blame Canada for Celine Dion, but that's another issue altogether.

Don't forget Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson and Nickelback. Also atleast Canada brought us Rush and Skinny Puppy, despite Celine Dion and Nickelcrap (no offence fans).

Hell certain record lables + MTV could make Complete (the worst band ever) famous, if they really wanted.

Reply #19
I'll bet the farm that this is going to be a complete and utter failure 

Reply #20
I'll bet the farm that this is going to be a complete and utter failure 

LOL

Reply #21
Those bastards made Milli Vanilli possible. I also blame Canada for Celine Dion, but that's another issue altogether.

Don't forget Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson and Nickelback. Also atleast Canada brought us Rush and Skinny Puppy, despite Celine Dion and Nickelcrap (no offence fans).

Hey, LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!

That reminds me of a Ricky Gervais comment (I don't think he was joking) that when Paris Hilton went to live in the UK (close to him), it was that Obama sent her in retaliation for Posh Spice.

Reply #22
A big issue is highlighted here:

“It is the great conundrum of the age: what would an album look like online? At the moment a download in no sense replicates that satisfying quality of a physical album...Online it’s stripped down to the bare music, and there’s a lot more to an album than that.”

No matter how much you simulate a physical album (whether on CD or LP or cassette) it will always be a non-physical simulation of the physical experience. A complete sensory modality is missing.

You will always value something physical over something that disappears when you turn the power switch off.

Convenience also is an issue. I for one do not want to have to fire up a computer everytime I want to see the album cover, or check out the liner notes and lyrics, or browse my music collection. As for music videos, they are and always were a marketing tool, more of an ad than a movie. I avoid them.

I really don't understand why the music industry won't drop the price of the CD to boost sales. USD5 is the price point they want.

When all is said and done, maybe the unpleasant truth is that in digital form the album is dead. Maybe it needs to be in a physical form to exist.

Reply #23
Hey, LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!

Am sorry, i didn't know that Chris Crocker is on Hydrogen Audio .

Anyway welcome to Hydrogen Audio, Chris Crocker. Am sure after reading a few posts and guides you'll be able to ABX your pop tunes from your Myspace page against your CDs. I would recommend trying Britney Spears first, since Auto-Tune can be hard to encode.

That reminds me of a Ricky Gervais comment (I don't think he was joking) that when Paris Hilton went to live in the UK (close to him), it was that Obama sent her in retaliation for Posh Spice.

If it's true then i don't blame him, i know Posh Spice is awful but it's abit harsh though. And thanks for reminding me of this painful interview with Paris Hilton, were she didn't know who UB40 was.