Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't convert audio cd to wav format! (Read 3398 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't convert audio cd to wav format!

Hi, I've never posted here before, I hope you can help me solve a problem that it's bugging me!
Initially I thought it was just an EAC problem, but i then worked out is a wider issue.
Anyway that's the issue:
I've always used EAC to convert my audio cds in wav and then mp3 or other compressed formats, so that i can then listen to them on my pc.
The last cd i managed to burn was last March, after that I stopped using EACL until last month, when I converted a cd in wav and I ended up with files that looked ok, 30mb for a 3 minute song, but when I tried to play them in winamp i couldn't hear anything apart from a continuous ticking sound.......
I tried with different cds, using both my cd players, but to no avail......
then i managed to find a temporary solution for EAC: by selecting "Native Win32 Interface" instead of "Installed external ASPI Interface". I thought the problem was due to the ASPI driver, so i re-installed them with ForceASPI 1.8, I then tried to select them with EAC, but it doesn't work....
Now I can't even copy audio cds using nero (version 6.6.0.16)....if I try the result is the usual ticking noise....same as EAC.
I thought Nero used their own ASPI driver? so why have I got the same problem?
I am at my wit's end, i hope you can help me
Thank you in advance

HERE there is a small wav file that I tried to create from an audio cd... Listen to the result 

Reply #1
Check the BIOS settings for your drives (don't ask me for details). Just a wild guess - I've read that they get mysteriously screwed up sometimes, causing similar problems.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #2
Thank you. I try...

Reply #3
I looked at the bios settings... but I don't know what to do.... 
I hope someone can help me...

my pc:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
MBD: Abit NF7-S (n-Vidia - n-Force2)
1 GB RAM
Drives: 1) Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D ; 2) TDK CDRW 4800B (problem happens with both)
OS Win XP

Reply #6
Make sure the CD you're trying to copy/rip doesn't have any protection on it, like MediaMax CD-3, Extended Copy Protection or Copy Control.
I've had problems with those before, they make the wav files all garbled like the one you posted.

Reply #7
Thank you so much capma!!!!
I have Daemon Tools installed... now with SPTD update all is ok!
really thank you capma! 

and thank you all for your help!

Hydrogenaudio rules! 

Reply #8
Glad you sorted it out - I had that problem a while ago when I had Daemon Tools installed, but I just uninstalled it and EAC worked fine again. I might have to try updating SPTD.

Cheers, Arite.