Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac vs Ape audible difference question (Read 22706 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac vs Ape audible difference question

Reply #25
foobar2000 has an integrated CD player/ripper. So I think you don't even have to extract the track from CD-DA to WAV. foobar2000 will probably do it for you. Just select the original CD track and your APE file and run the comparison.

thanks guys... will do.

Reply #26
If I understand correctly, for a successful bitwise comparison not only the source (CD) must be the same, it must also be ripped on the same drive/with the same "drive offset", or on different drives with "corrected" offsets. Check out "EAC (Exact Audio Copy)" for details.

Reply #27
No, foobar2000 should be able to correct the offsets AFAIK.

Reply #28
do you know anything about the "Medium Noise Shaping" Dither filter which is set as default in Burrn?

Why would any lossless format have a need for "noise" shaping?

You do NOT want to apply dither. That changes the signal. The audio won't be lossless if you alter it.

Dither is only useful when you're trying to cram a high-resolution format into a lower-resolution format, where lossless is impossible, and you want to retain as much quality as possible.

If you're using a lossless compression, you don't want to combine any other process, otherwise it won't be lossless any more.

P.S.  I've never heard of Burrn, and have no idea what default options for Dither you're seeing.

Reply #29
do you know anything about the "Medium Noise Shaping" Dither filter which is set as default in Burrn?

Why would any lossless format have a need for "noise" shaping?

You do NOT want to apply dither. That changes the signal. The audio won't be lossless if you alter it.

Dither is only useful when you're trying to cram a high-resolution format into a lower-resolution format, where lossless is impossible, and you want to retain as much quality as possible.

If you're using a lossless compression, you don't want to combine any other process, otherwise it won't be lossless any more.

P.S.  I've never heard of Burrn, and have no idea what default options for Dither you're seeing.

Hi there mate, thanks for the response, makes sense.
What do you use for burning ape to cd? Nero? What else do people most commonly use?
thanks
Mark.

Reply #30
Burrrn (very free and easy to use) or EAC (which can handle APE directly, if Monkey's Audio is installed).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #31
Hi all

The new bob dylan is too new for it to be REmastered, and it seems weird for someone to bother re-encoding to a format like ape or flac if their source was some lossy source like MP3.

I

I can think of two reasons why someone would do it: 1. They need to cheat a ratio requirement by having users download a bigger file. 2. They are trying to stay in a lossless only site and not lose their account. And since we are in prohibited discussion territory now, I will not speculate any further.
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Reply #32
Thanks both for the tips/comments.
A.T. best
Mark.