Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPD client written in ruby/qt? (Read 13093 times) previous topic - next topic

MPD client written in ruby/qt?

Would this intrest anyone? It would feature playcount, columns display, cover art, and everything else you've grown to expect from foobar. Actually I don't care about your opinions 'cause I'm making it for me regardless but still
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #1
Definitely!

Reply #2
Yes absolutely, I'd love a foobar-like client for mpd. If you could make it modular and customisable in the same way it'd be amazing but just having things like playcounts and ratings would be really cool

Reply #3
Yeah, I'd try my best to make it extendable. I'm a perfectionist so releases will be slow to come but hopefully they'll come with many improvements  Unfortunately my linux partition commited suicide yesterday but it's ok, i'm going to fix that today. Coding shall start soon...

Reply #4
I have a choice: Either use the outdated MPD.rb library, or wait for librmpd to release something. Thoughts?

Reply #5
depends on how long it will take until libmpd...i mean im already wet in my pants =D

Reply #6
Well, using the SVN librmpd, you might be able to help speed development by reporting bugs.. Of course, if the library is incomplete to the point of being unuseable then it might be a good idea to stick to MPD.rb. Maybe try contacting the librmpd maintainer?

Reply #7
I've contacted him, but the thing is the rubyforge SVN is empty

edit: k got a version out of svn, but it was made for 0.11.5 and i'm using 0.12.1. I'll try it anyway

edit 2:
Code: [Select]
ehird@ehird-desktop:~/rubympdc/librmpd/pkg$ sudo gem install librmpd-0.1.0.gem
Successfully installed librmpd, version 0.1.0
Installing ri documentation for librmpd-0.1.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for librmpd-0.1.0...

Oh yes.

Reply #8
Good news: I can, er, do stuff with MPD easily. For instance:

Code: [Select]
require 'librmpd/lib/librmpd.rb'

mpd = MPD.new
mpd.connect
mpd.add "/"
mpd.play
song = mpd.current_song
puts "Playing: #{song.artist} - #{song.title}"

Reply #9
How is MPD with tagging? For example, are my ALBUM ARTIST tags going to be read correctly?

PS. I'm going to try to get linux and MPD installed so I can play with this myself soon.

Reply #10
MPD is fine with tagging, it just dumps the whole thing no matter what - so expect a foobar like tagger to really see what tags are actually there. I've decided to make development smoother and to give me something nicer to concentrate on, I need someone to help me with the making of the interface. This basically includes parts of both design and making the Qt design files. (it'd still be a collaborative effort though.) Anybody interested can post here or email me.

Reply #11
Sounds great! I just managed to get MPD/qmpdclient up and running and it is definitely the best linux jukebox I've used. Handles a large collection well and plays most formats. And has gapless..
I have absolutely no skills with coding, but consider me an enthusiastic tester

Reply #12
Right now I'm just playing around with a little commandline client I've made to test stuff to get the hang of the library; then I'll start writing a core and GUI development can start too

Reply #13
Excellent xD

Reply #14
I think foobar2000 is one of the main reasons to stay "windows" for many here - including me  looking forward to your project.

Reply #15
Right now I'm just playing around with a little commandline client I've made to test stuff to get the hang of the library; then I'll start writing a core and GUI development can start too

...Just Elliott, I'm all excited with your announcement! I have been using mpd in the past (without much enthusiasm for the lack of a "proper" client), but I'm using it again thanks to Sonata. mpd is a most solid piece of music playing infrastructure (Replaygain playback, gapless support, C/S concept, etc). Sonata is rather barebones but very usable. Of course, tagging functionality and Replaygain stuff (as in actually calculating the correct values for a set of files) is dearly missed (something for your Ruby client?). I'm going to give QMPDClient a whir and see how that fits the ever increasing user expectations.

I really want to applaud you for going the mpd way as I think its Client/Server implementation should be very  future-proof. There are many players out there (Listen, Quod Libet, Exaile, Amarok, Banshee, etc.) that are stuck in the all-alone-on-an-island approach; networking is surely the way to go.

Good luck with your project and if there's anything I can do to assist (apart from coding), you're more than welcome to knock on my door.

Please keep us informed of the developments (even if the only thing to report is that nothing has been done for a few weeks). Again, all the best of luck.

Musical regards,
Rob

Reply #16
Current status of the project for people who don't have a directly wired link to my brain:

- It will be made. Soon.
- I'm now using Windows, various flavours of Linux (KDE and GNOME) and Mac OS X, so I'm not sure if making a player just for linux is a good idea
- Ruby lets my app be crossplatform easily, yet Qt isn't free software for Windows, and is only avaliable for OS X via installing X and is really ugly in it anyway
- Also, Qt doesn't integrate well with the GNOME desktop
- I was thinking of making a "toolkit abstraction layer" (yes, i'm aware this is repeating what toolkits try and do in the first place...) where I can implement different shortcuts for Qt (KDE), GTK+ (GNOME and Windows), Cocoa (OS X), and maybe others if anybody else writes them.

Judgement:
Is this needlessly abstracted and should I just go with one toolkit, or is this a good idea?

Opinions welcome.

Reply #17
I don't have much to offer on the programming side of things, but I just discovered this thread today. I'm extremely excited about this project and you can count me in on your list of supporters.
- I'm now using Windows, various flavours of Linux (KDE and GNOME) and Mac OS X, so I'm not sure if making a player just for linux is a good idea

I'd appreciate a multi-platform client. There is a lack of decent clients for Windows. I'd appreciate a client that was similar on both Linux and Windows.

Reply #18
- It will be made. Soon.
- Ruby lets my app be crossplatform easily, yet Qt isn't free software for Windows, and is only avaliable for OS X via installing X and is really ugly in it anyway
- Also, Qt doesn't integrate well with the GNOME desktop
- I was thinking of making a "toolkit abstraction layer" (yes, i'm aware this is repeating what toolkits try and do in the first place...) where I can implement different shortcuts for Qt (KDE), GTK+ (GNOME and Windows), Cocoa (OS X), and maybe others if anybody else writes them.

Sounds like a cool project. Just some points:

Qt for Windows, Linux and OSX are all available under the GPL licence. Trolltech's page on Qt Licensing is a good place to figure out the details. Basically, if your app is GPL, you can use it freely on all the platforms. Probably the most relevant is the licensing matrix.

Toolkit abstraction layers already exist. Some so called "widget toolkits" are merely thin abstractions - which is good. I have had great experiences with wx Widgets on both Linux and windows.

Also, if I remember rightly Qt 4 can target Carbon on OSX directly, without the need for X11. Qt is really a great toolkit, but I know nothing about it's ruby bindings.

Reply #19
More point by point stuff since it's fun:

- wxWidgets is great, but it uses GTK 1... I'd consider it if it was 2, but 1 is really, really outdated... I'd probably write my own abstraction
- didn't know qt was GPL on all platforms now... cool
- Qt on OS X not being possible isn't a problem, it's more the lack of integration: some obvious out-of-place stuff including the menubar being attached to the window

Reply #20
i think qt/ruby is the best bet - and most interesting for a linux focus.

i'd kill for a qt/ruby lamip control plugin...

later

Reply #21
it >was< originally linux focused, but now I'm having to drop back into windows quite a lot and use both KDE and GNOME, plus I now have a mac.. so my focuses have expanded quite a bit

Reply #22
i think qt/ruby is the best bet - and most interesting for a linux focus.
I agree, I'd personally chose qt/python - but if you know Ruby then it's probably also an excellent choice.

As a further aside, wx uses GTK2 if you compile it against GTK2 libs instead of GTK. I'd still chose qt though, but only because I think Qt is genius 

Reply #23
Same here. I think Qt with whatever language is the safest bet. It'll run natively on every platform, and it's free, as long as your app is GPL.

Good luck.

Reply #24
hey,

qt on mac actually does look native... neato...

so... qt it is

HOWEVER

MacPorts only has qt3, not qt4