Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Discussion of wiki policy (Read 17365 times) previous topic - next topic

Discussion of wiki policy

Reply #25
I would word it differently. I think that something along the lines of:
"The content a user's user page is theirs to decide. Feel welcome to add related content or fix issues. The user may object to or revert your change. If this happens, do not be offended. Instead, let the user control their user page. Their decision should be respected unless it clearly breaks policy."

Reply #26
What if we do something like this:

ORIGINAL
Ownership of articles

You agreed to allow others to modify your work. So let them.

PROPOSED
Ownership of articles

When editing user pages it is discouraged to make significant changes without discussing beforehand with the user in the user talk page.

Would that be too restrictive?

No, that's good.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #27
I do not think we should ever discourage editing in the policy. If we simply make it clear that a user's user page is under their control, the whole issue vanishes. All edits are easily reverted, making any unwanted alteration almost a non-issue.

Compiled properly with my version, I propose:

Ownership of articles

The content a user's user page is theirs to decide. Feel welcome to add related content or fix issues. The user may object to or revert your change. If this happens, do not be offended. Instead, let the user control their user page. Their decision should be respected unless it clearly breaks policy.

I have attempted to emulate the simple, straightforward style of the first sentence in the second. Indeed, simplicity and straightforwardness are our friends in policy. t could be pared down to the first and last sentences without losing much. The rest is aimed at avoiding the stupidity that occurred earlier.

Reply #28
I like your idea Canar.
I would be more concise and direct though. What about this?

Ownership of articles

The content a user's user page is theirs to decide. Feel welcome to add related content or fix issues, but do not be offended if the user objects or reverts your changes.

Reply #29
I like it beto, thanks for your input. It simplifies my somewhat awkward phrasing. I'm kind of partial to the mention about breaking policy though. It seems to me that if I were to change someone's user page to comply with policy and they reverted such a change that they are in the wrong. I think a mention of that would be useful.

I'd suggest the last bit read like this:
The content a user's user page is theirs to decide. Feel welcome to add related content or fix issues, but do not be offended if the user objects or reverts your changes. Their decision should be respected unless it clearly breaks policy.

Reply #31
Alright! Any other comments? Elliott? kjoonlee?

Reply #32
None, (personally I'd treat "breaking policy" as including mediawiki technical conventions but that'd just start the crap earlier up again).
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #33
It is not listed in the policy anywhere that mediawiki technical conventions be treated as policy, which would render your interpretation incorrect.

Reply #35
Likewise, it is not listed in the policy anywhere that Wikipedia policies be treated as HA KB policy.

Again, if either of these statements bother you, propose changes to policy. Until the policy is changed, however, please remember that the HA KB is not Wikipedia.

The most recent version of the text has been added to policy under the header "User pages".

Reply #36
Again, if either of these statements bother you, propose changes to policy. Until the policy is changed, however, please remember that the HA KB is not Wikipedia.

I am in agreement with your stance 
budding I.T professional