Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Major LAME page merging (Read 7720 times) previous topic - next topic

Major LAME page merging

I am thinking about merging some lame related pages in the LAME page.

See the proposal here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

I just think it is not necessary to keep several LAME related pages and cross reference them such as it is today:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ecommended_LAME
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...d_LAME_settings
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ed_LAME_credits

I think CiTay created them originally. What do you think? Could we go ahead with teh proposal?

Major LAME page merging

Reply #1
ok with me.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #3
Well, the Ogg Vorbis section has [[Ogg Vorbis]], [[Recommended Ogg Vorbis]] at the start, then it branches out to [[aoTuV]], [[Lancer]], [[Compiling Vorbis for Linux]]... and also offsprings such as [[OggDropXPd]]

PS: Yeah, I know this is not the wiki. The square brackets are intentional.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #4
I think Credits should definitely be merged, if not into LAME then into Recommended Settings. It just doesn't make sense to give it a separate article page.

And on the whole I think the union you propose is the best option for both readablility and consistency.
The Plan Within Plans

Major LAME page merging

Reply #5
Well, the Ogg Vorbis section has [[Ogg Vorbis]], [[Recommended Ogg Vorbis]] at the start, then it branches out to [[aoTuV]], [[Lancer]], [[Compiling Vorbis for Linux]]... and also offsprings such as [[OggDropXPd]]

PS: Yeah, I know this is not the wiki. The square brackets are intentional.

This makes no sense to me. You are comparing apples and oranges. Ogg Vorbis is a format whereas LAME is an encoder. If you want to compare you have to campare the Ogg Vorbis page against the MP3 page.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #6
finished the revision. all older pages now redirect to the main lame page.
no information was deleted, only merged in the LAME article.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #7
Hmm... why just not keep as seperate pages and include the seperate pages in the LAME page like it was before? That way you can have one big page but still have specific info on a small page.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #8
Well, to me and apparently to others as well keeping information in one place is better for the sake of simplicity, reference and future revisions.
I am not trying to push my personal preference here, I am just trying to make  possible editors' lifes easier. Now you can find everything related to LAME in one place only.
To me it makes sense.... Doesn't it to you?

Major LAME page merging

Reply #9
Well the point was that everything would be at the LAME page but also at seperate pages at the same time with no extra work...

Major LAME page merging

Reply #10
Do you mean transclusion? Kind of like #include.

Rough example:

[[Lame]]
{{options of lame}}
{{versions of lame}}
{{details of lame}}

[[Options of lame]]
blah

[[Versions of lame]]
blah

[[Details of lame]]
blah

Major LAME page merging

Reply #11
yes. That is how it was done before.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #12
Well the point was that everything would be at the LAME page but also at seperate pages at the same time with no extra work...

Sorry, maybe I am missing something but what would be the advantage of that? Wouldn't this make editors' lifes harder because the pages that provide the information are not straightforward to edit?
I confess I am not that versed in wikis but I fail to see the advantage of this transclusion thing in this case...
However if you feel that transclusion would be good, I trust your judgement.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #13
just make them sections on one page, there's [edit] links to the right of each section. Transclusion = unneccesary load on the server, most of the time.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Major LAME page merging

Reply #14
I was thinking specificly about the recommended lame settings page. I think other pages would be more inclined to link to that compared to a huge page on lame. I hope someday the forum thread on that can be removed completely but unfortunately that is not possible now since it has so high google rating.

Major LAME page merging

Reply #15
I realised that the "recommended lame compiles" thread at the HA forums redirects to the "Lame Compiles" node at the HA Knowledgebase.

IMHO this kind of modularisation is good.

---

At Wikipedia, transclusion is usually reserved for the [[Template:]] namespace. They use
Code: [Select]
==Section header==
:''Main article: [[Indepth info]]''
Brief summary comes here
this sort of code (edit: instead of transcluding non-template nodes into the main namespace), and the more-specific article always has a link back to the more-general article.