Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What file-naming scheme do you use? (Read 15683 times) previous topic - next topic

What file-naming scheme do you use?

Here's mine:
Code: [Select]
Artist\Album\## Title.ext

What about yours?
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #1
Artist - Album\## - Artist - Title

BTW, this was discussed a number of times already  .

Reply #4
%artist%\%album%\%artist% - %nn% - %title%.ext
Pusk is the new Start.

Reply #5
Might as well, the old topic was polluted.

[%genre%/][%style%/][$if3(%album artist%,%va%,%performer%,%artist%,%composer%)/][%album%[' ('Disc %discnumber%')']/][$num(%tracknumber%,2). ][%track artist% - ][%composer% - ]%title%

Which works out to :

K:\Music\Classical\Opera\Claudio Abbado\Carmen, Complete Opera (Disc 1)\08. Georges Bizet - Choeur et Scene La cloche a sonne.mp3

for the track : #08/19 "Carmen (London Symphonic Orchestra) CD1" - Choeur et Scene La cloche a sonne ( London Symphonic Orchestra / Claudio Abbado ) @ Georges Bizet

Reply #6
Artist -- Year -- Album\Artist -- Year -- Album -- Tracknumber TrackTitle.

Or

Compilation or Movie Title\Compilation or Movie title -- Tracknumber Artist -- TrackTitle

Some additional cues can be added, like CD1, CD2, or a volume number.

The goal is to be able to sort all files by alphabetical order in any list. The double - between each part allows to use the single - in names like Jean-Michel Jarre, for example.

Here is Foobar2000 playlist formatting string :

$num(%_playlist_number%,$len(%_playlist_total%)). 
$if2(%artist%,unknown artist)

$tab(2)

$if2(%title%,%_filename_ext%)

$tab(3)

//If the directory is 'various', then the tag 'album' is displayed, else the last part of the directory name is displayed
//Directory parts are at most 3, and are separated by the string '--'
$if(
$strcmp(%_directoryname%,'Various') ,
//Then1
%album%,
//Else1
$ifgreater($strstr($right(%_directoryname%,$sub($sub($len(%_directoryname%),$strstr(%_directoryname%,'--')),2)),'--'),1,
//Then2
$right(%_directoryname%,$sub($sub($len($right(%_directoryname%,$sub($sub($len(%_directoryname%),$strstr(%_directoryname%,'--')),2))),$strstr($right(%_directoryname%,$sub($sub($len(%_directoryname%),$strstr(%_directoryname%,'--')),2)),'--')),2))
//Else2
,$ifgreater($strstr(%_directoryname%,'--'),1,
//Then3
$right(%_directoryname%,$sub($sub($len(%_directoryname%),$strstr(%_directoryname%,'--')),2)),
//Else3
%_directoryname%
)
)
)

$tab(4)

$if(%_isplaying%,'|> ')
[['['$if2(%__codec%,$upper($ext(%_path%)))']' ]$pad_right(%_length%,5,0)]

Reply #7
artist@title.*

More filtering should be handled by the application, not the file system (plus, I rarely keep whole albums).

Reply #8
Mine is
Artist_Name-Album_Title\##-track_title.ext

Note the underscore instead spaces and the upper case in the foldername and lowercase in the filename. I'm always removing dots, brackets and other non-standard charcters from folder/filenames. What i hate the most are files named as 01 - Title instead of 01-Title

Reply #9
Artist\(Year) Album\##. Title.ext

Reply #10
Artist - Date - Album\## title.ext

Various Artists - Date - Album\## Artist - Title
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #11
Genre\Collection or artist\(year) Album\CD#\nn. Artist - Title

With many waivers

Reply #12
Artist\Album\## - Title.ext

+ playlist : Artist\Album\Album - playlist.m3u
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #13
Mine is

Note the underscore instead spaces and the upper case in the foldername and lowercase in the filename. I'm always removing dots, brackets and other non-standard charcters from folder/filenames. What i hate the most are files named as 01 - Title instead of 01-Title

If your system does not handle spaces, dots and other chars correctly you should seriously consider moving to something better designed, developed and supported.
We're not at the MS-DOS time anymore...

Reply #14
Artist\Album\Artist - ## - Title
Various\Album\## - Artist - Title

Reply #15
Shocking fact: since I use iTunes to move files on/off my iPods, I don't care what the path/filenames are. I use iTunes tag-based database for everything and find it far more useful that Windows Explorer (or Finder) would ever be - because it's a database! Everything (and I mean everything) is searchable/sortable/organizable, what more do I want?

I allow iTunes to handle it via the "Keep iTunes music folder organized" setting. Works great, it is the same type of system I would create manually if I had to - but I don't. When I do use a simple player like Foobar2000, I know where everything is because iTunes put it there.

Utimately, I think tags are the only sensible way to go. I wouldn't care if the files are named "Track11287" as long as my database knows what and where they are - filenames are strictly an implementation-level item that an end user need not (should not) see any more than the temp files in your browse cache right now.

Reply #16
Shocking fact: since I use iTunes to move files on/off my iPods, I don't care what the path/filenames are. I use iTunes tag-based database for everything and find it far more useful that Windows Explorer (or Finder) would ever be - because it's a database! Everything (and I mean everything) is searchable/sortable/organizable, what more do I want?

I allow iTunes to handle it via the "Keep iTunes music folder organized" setting. Works great, it is the same type of system I would create manually if I had to - but I don't. When I do use a simple player like Foobar2000, I know where everything is because iTunes put it there.

Utimately, I think tags are the only sensible way to go. I wouldn't care if the files are named "Track11287" as long as my database knows what and where they are - filenames are strictly an implementation-level item that an end user need not (should not) see any more than the temp files in your browse cache right now.

The p2p community will love you.

Reply #17
This is my Mp3Tag "Tag->Filename" code:

$if(%album artist%,%album artist%\,%artist%\)%year% - %album%\$if(%discnumber%,CD %discnumber% - ,)$num(%track%,2) - $if($eql(%album artist%,Various Artists),%artist% - ,)%title%

Reply #18

Shocking fact: since I use iTunes to move files on/off my iPods, I don't care what the path/filenames are.

The p2p community will love you.

And you will love yourself too if you choose to dump iTunes for some reason

Mine is
%artist% - (%date%) %album%\[%discnumber%]%tracknumber% - %title%

And I start swearing seriously with VA albums  Or I use
Various Artists - (%date%) %album%\[%discnumber%]%tracknumber% - %artist% - %title%
but I don't really like the looks of that.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #19
I've changed mine twice this year, it's now:

Ripping audio with EAC (%A\%Y - %C\%N+%A+%T+%I):
Artist\Year - Album\Track Number+Artist+Track Title+Genre.wav

Encoded audio (renamed with Tag Frontend, with no spaces in the filename):
Artist\Year - Album\Track Number-Artist-Track Title.mp3

Off topic:
Oh yeah, and I completely went back to soley using LAME MP3 as well for compatibility reasons.

Reply #20

Mine is

If your system does not handle spaces, dots and other chars correctly you should seriously consider moving to something better designed, developed and supported.

I can fire up MS-DOS in 10 sec and play my music more comfortably than in Windows. And i want to preserve compatibility with discmans/car audios. I'm also creating html exports for every album in my collection, and in html space in a link is converted to %20 so the links look like this:
01%20-%20one%20of%20these%20days.mp3

Reply #21
artist - album/## - artist - title.wav

nothing more, nothing less

Reply #22

Mine is

I can fire up MS-DOS in 10 sec and play my music more comfortably than in Windows. And i want to preserve compatibility with discmans/car audios. I'm also creating html exports for every album in my collection, and in html space in a link is converted to %20 so the links look like this:

You're insane

Reply #23
I can fire up MS-DOS in 10 sec and play my music more comfortably than in Windows.

how playing music in ms-dos is more confortable than playing in windows?

And i want to preserve compatibility with discmans/car audios.

It is not a compatibility issue it's a design issue. your discmans/car audios are badly designed.

I'm also creating html exports for every album in my collection, and in html space in a link is converted to %20 so the links look like this:

why do you do this for? isn't it easier to export to plain utf-8 text?

Reply #24
%artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% - %artist% - %title%

So, essentially, it will look like this:

Sleeping at Last\Keep No Score\03 - Sleeping at Last - Needle and Thread.ogg