Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adjusting Volume (Read 1772 times) previous topic - next topic

Adjusting Volume

When I adjust the system’s volume, no changes are made to the volume of a file which is currently being played in Foobar. I thought that the overall volume of the system should affect all audio programs. Does anyone know how to change Foobar’s volume by adjusting the system’s volume?

Re: Adjusting Volume

Reply #1
Don't think it's possible since foobar2k's volume and the system volume is two different things.

I would recommend you to set foobar's volume at max and then use the system volume to your liking.

Reply #2
Don't think it's possible since foobar2k's volume and the system volume is two different things.

I would recommend you to set foobar's volume at max and then use the system volume to your liking.
The volume in Foobar is set to maximum. The volume of the sound coming from the speakers remains the same when I change the system volume. What can be the reason for this?

Reply #3
It seems you are ASIO or WASAPI exclusive output method in foobar2000. Use other output method then.

Reply #4
It seems you are ASIO or WASAPI exclusive output method in foobar2000. Use other output method then.
Since I am not an advanced user, can you explain how another method can be used?

Reply #5
I'm not advanced either, but...

Go into File > Preferences > Playback > Output > Device and try a different output from whatever you have currently selected.  Mine is "Primary Sound Driver" and my system volume operates as expected.  Yours might be set to "exclusive".

However, by changing the device you might then allow system sounds to mix with the FB2K audio.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #6
I'm not advanced either, but...

Go into File > Preferences > Playback > Output > Device and try a different output from whatever you have currently selected.  Mine is "Primary Sound Driver" and my system volume operates as expected.  Yours might be set to "exclusive".

However, by changing the device you might then allow system sounds to mix with the FB2K audio.
I play the audio file through speakers which are connected to the computer through a USB socket. Therefore the last option shown in the screenshot below is selected. The other options do not work.
 https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9jw9u11u13jobw/Untitled.png?dl=0

Reply #7
That's highly relevant information missing from the first post!  So you are using a non-standard sound card (the USB speakers) and are entirely dependent on system support or third-party drivers.  All bets are off. 
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #8
That's highly relevant information missing from the first post!  So you are using a non-standard sound card (the USB speakers) and are entirely dependent on system support or third-party drivers.  All bets are off. 
Yes, perhaps I should have indicated at the beginning what device is used.
The problem with the volume control started only a few days ago. Previously, whenever I used the speakers connected through the USB port, I was able to adjust the volume of the played file by changing the system volume. There may be a way to restore the original functionality, but I do not know what has caused Foobar to become unresponsive to system volume changes when I use the speakers connected through the USB port.