Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External DVD-RW does not see DVD Enhanced section of a CD Single? (Read 2884 times) previous topic - next topic

External DVD-RW does not see DVD Enhanced section of a CD Single?

ASUS VivoBook 15
Windows 10.0.17763
ASUS External SDRW-08-D2-U  LITE Slimline DVD-RW

Avid Vinyl and CD collector.

I have encountered a strange problem, my external DVD-RW does not see DVD Enhanced section of a CD Single?
Normally when I insert a CD with and enanced section I am prompted by windows asking me what I want to do, but it did not do that with this CD.

The CD Single in question is The Feeling - Love It When You Call.
This has three Audio tracks and a DVD section with some sofware for fans of the band.

Insert the CD into my external drive and all it sees are the three audio tracks.
I fired up Image Burn, created a Cue / Bin on my C:\ drive and looked inside the bin file, it had extracted 4 audio file (but there are only three listed on the CD Sleve).

Opened PowerISO and selected the CD Single and it too shows 4 audio tracks.

If you go to the discogs listing for this CD it clearly shows that there is a enhanced CD section that contains the U-MYX software for the band although it is showing as Track 4.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1600302-The-Feeling-Love-It-When-You-Call

The CD Catalogue number 17013050, Barcode: 602517130500, Rights Society: BIEM/SABAM, Label Code: LC 01846 all match my CD incl the Catalogue number printed on the disc matrix area.

This is the 2nd copy of this CD Single that I have purchased from two different sellers and both have this issue.

Has anyone encountered this issue or does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Re: External DVD-RW does not see DVD Enhanced section of a CD Single?

Reply #1
I fired up Image Burn, created a Cue / Bin on my C:\ drive and looked inside the bin file
What's inside the CUE file? You can drag and drop it into Notepad to see for yourself, or just attach it here. (Don't attach the BIN file!) It sounds like your drive is identifying the CD Enhanced track as an audio track instead of a data track.

Do you have another drive you can try? Can you borrow someone else's? Maybe the problem is just your drive.

Unfortunately, it's also possible the disc was mastered incorrectly. It's possible to fix mastering issues, but it'll be more difficult.

Reply #2
Hi Octocontrabass

Thank you for your reply.

I dropped the cue file into Notepad and, I maybe wrong, but the result seems to suggest that track 4 is data.

CATALOG 0602517130500
FILE "Image.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    ISRC GBUM70501024
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    ISRC GBUM70604742
    INDEX 00 03:35:68
    INDEX 01 03:37:51
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    ISRC GBUM70605076
    INDEX 00 06:54:23
    INDEX 01 06:56:06
  TRACK 04 DATA
    ISRC GBUM70604743
    INDEX 00 11:03:26
    INDEX 01 11:05:09

Reply #3
Yep, that looks like a data track.

Have you tried browsing to This PC and double-clicking on the DVD drive icon? Maybe Windows just doesn't like the disc.

Have you checked your AutoPlay settings? (Open the Settings app, click Devices and then AutoPlay.)

Reply #4
Well this is the 2nd copy of this CD that I purchased and get the same result/issue with both.

In settings there is no specific setting for the CD drive (Its an external USB drive) but under Removable Drive its set to "Open folder to view files (File Explorer)"

It is very strange, so we know that a Data track or layer exists so there must be a program or some way of extracting or seeing the data.

There is no reason for the U-MYX file to be hidden as it is a selling point of this version of the CD and on all of the other CD;s I have with this software on, it is freely accessible. The sofware company, U-MYX, actually recommend copying it from the CD to the c: drive if there are glitches during playback.

This is why I am confused.

Reply #5
Try browsing to This PC in File Explorer and double-clicking on the DVD drive icon.

Reply #7
If you right-click on it, what options appear in the menu? Choosing "Open" should at least allow you to view the files, even if the autorun program doesn't work.

Reply #8
If you right-click on it, what options appear in the menu? Choosing "Open" should at least allow you to view the files, even if the autorun program doesn't work.

Thats how it should work but with this CD it just shows the 4 tracks.

Reply #9
I'm not sure what would cause that.

There's a very old and program called CDmage that should be able to extract files from your BIN/CUE. You could give it a try.

Reply #10
IsoBuster might also be up to the challenge of exploring the data track.

Reply #11
Have you tried

Thats how it should work but with this CD it just shows the 4 tracks.

Hm, does that file system allow for possibly hidden tracks?

https://www.7-zip.org/ is an application most of us need anyway. Try to open its file manager (the 7zFM application) and navigate to
- the CD
- the .bin file
Don't expect anything, but you might get lucky, and at worst I have recommended a program I would anyway install on day one on a new computer (in fact I just did).

Reply #12
Sorry I have not updated this thread for a while but I have been working away from home.

Still no luck on this but tonight I have downloaded and old program I used to use years ago called CDCheck and after running it, in its report it says that there are two folders on the CD.

I think I need to get access to these folders???

Reply #13
Anyone?

There must still be some of the old crew on here who were experts in CD's (when CD's were all we had)?

Reply #14
It's hard to say what might be going on without examining a copy of the disc, and sharing copied discs is generally frowned upon around here... but you can share the .CUE file.

So, please share the .CUE file, maybe that will give us some ideas.

Reply #15
Have you tried IsoBuster like Aleron Ives told you above?

I downloaded some random Enhanced CD .cue and .bin file from archive.org just to test it.
I used XP in VM. I mounted image file using old version of Daemon Tools.

Windows XP recognized it.

But it is empty.

Now we can use IsoBuster to extract the files!

gold plated toslink fan

Reply #16
I use IsoBuster occasionally on Windows 7, as well. I have a few audio CDs with deliberately malformed CD Text, and IsoBuster is able to dump CD Text to a file, among many other features.