Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC v1.3.4 (Read 51127 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from FLAC v1.3.3

Re: FLAC v1.3.4

Reply #3
Moved to validated news.

Reply #4
The official win32 binary reports its version as 1.3.3. Same version is embedded in the encoded files.

Reply #5
Win32 and x64 compiles on Rarewares. They show 1.3.4. :)

Reply #7
The official win32 binary reports its version as 1.3.3. Same version is embedded in the encoded files.
I've notified the person that released those files and checked for myself. It seems the compile really is 1.3.4, but by mistake the commit updating the version number was missing, so all patches are in.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #9
The Windows compiles on github and xiph for 1.3.4 have been updated, 32-bit version now also reports being version 1.3.4.

Reply #10
Windows 10 assholery:

Code: [Select]
Program 'flac.exe' failed to run: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentia
lly unwanted softwareAt line:1 char:1

Classifies it as "Win32/Bearfoos.B!ml"

Reply #14
To bad none of the different compression optimisations went in. I wonder if they only did a release for having it at 02/20/2022 :)
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #15
I wonder if they only did a release for having it at 02/20/2022 :)
That was the reason this date was chosen, but the reason for the release is in the first two lines of the changelog:
Fix 12 decoder bugs found by oss-fuzz, including CVE-2020-0499
Fix encoder bug CVE-2021-0561

Reply #16
Windows Binary Speed Differences
As always, depending on the compiler, optimizations used and target CPUs, there will be always some differences in runtime speed. In my case they are rather small, but I decided to share them with the forum.

My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. And I've used Measuere-Command on the windowss PowerShell, and converted a large WAV file (418 MB). Flag used where: --best --exhaustive-model-search --verify --force, to make it as slow as possible. Only 64-bit binaries tested.

NetRanger's compile was the fastest, with an average of 28.3s
xiph's compile 30.0s
Rarewares compile 30.7s

Remember, each system may yield different results.

Reply #17
I,m decode sample 44100 Hz 16bit flac-1.3.2 and flac-1.3.4 = Ok
100% corrected SHA-512 .wav files.

Decode sample 48000 Hz 24bit (Hi-Res) flac-1.3.2 and flac-1.3.4 = Different files.
SHA-512 Not corrected.

Decode flac-1.3.2 and 1.3.4:

(https://i.postimg.cc/QC62p5gt/flac.png)

Why such difference in 48000 Hz 24bit ?
I compared Audio MD5 in Foobar2K = no problem, 100% corrected.
Mystic.

Reply #18
Not answering your question on precisely what 1.3.2 and 1.3.4 do different, but:
WAVE is a container format. It contains the audio - that will be the same between those two files - but also non-audio chunks (headers etc) which the FLAC decoder will write anew.
https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__not_wave_compressor
https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#tools__two_bytes_short

WavPack, Monkey's, TAK and OptimFROG are actually file compressors - by default, they will give you the same .wav file back (as long as it isn't malformed), with metadata and all. FLAC is "only" a lossless audio compressor. It doesn't try to remember where it got the PCM from.

Reply #19
Why such difference in 48000 Hz 24bit ?
Because FLAC 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 decode 24-bit files to a different wave format (the extensible one) whereas 1.3.2 and before decoded to regular wave. See the changelog:

FLAC 1.3.3 (4-Augs-2019)

[...]
    flac:
        When converting to WAV, use WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE when bits per second is not 8 or 16 (erikd).

Reply #20
It's only the header that's different, the PCM data is identical.

Reply #21
Gosh, I didn't realize 1.3.2 is that old.

WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE when bits per second is not 8 or 16 (erikd).
"bits per second" - we've all typed that mistake, haven't we?  :-D

Wouldn't it better also output WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE whenever channel config isn't standard mono/stereo - no matter what bit depth? (Does it? I don't think so?)

Reply #22
Thanks all for quick response.
And many thanks for new release for Windows.

Reply #23
Genuinely curious, sorry if this is a stupid question…

1.3 came almost 10 years ago, and there was about 6 years between 1.2 and 1.3… now we are at 1.3.4, what kind of feature or change would be considered a major enough revision to make an upcoming version a so-called 1.4? Or even 2.0 if I dare ask?

Reply #24
There are 2 changes to the API that were left out of this release. Merging those would probably be a trigger to name it 1.4.0. I guess there would be a 2.0 on a major format addition.