Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Winamp] Best Winamp Version? (Read 11053 times) previous topic - next topic

[Winamp] Best Winamp Version?

Reply #25
I tried Foobar earlier today...but...no (please don't shoot me   )

(Skillz runs away and hides somewhere safe...)

Well I hope you preferred Winamp over Foobar not because the latter was too....Notepad-ish .

Reply #26
winamp plugins are fully optional. install what you want. leave out what you don't. you can simply even delete the conforming .dll's.
don't install minibrowser, library,....

but in the end 2.95 should be the version to go.

Reply #27
I recommend the newest version because everything before 2.7(something) had a security vulnerability because of the bug in zlib. I haven't heard of anyone getting bitten by it, but it never hurt anyone to be a little careful.
Close the world - TXeN eht nepO

Reply #28
For reference, there are multiple versions of 2.95 floating around. I know of the following "No AOL on desktop" versions (see the MD5 sums below), although there may be others:

5a139bf3b9bc2c04f3b56cd9f2bff0ab *winamp295_full_noaod.exe (1st leaked)
16437fc7733f5378e4acf3b9c8c2f6d5 *winamp295_full_noaod.exe (2nd)

- M.

Reply #29
I tried Foobar earlier today...but...no (please don't shoot me   )

(Skillz runs away and hides somewhere safe...)

Well I hope you preferred Winamp over Foobar not because the latter was too....Notepad-ish .

Ummm, NO....offcourse not!....ummmm *cough* *cough* 

Reply #30
For reference, there are multiple versions of 2.95 floating around. I know of the following "No AOL on desktop" versions (see the MD5 sums below), although there may be others:

5a139bf3b9bc2c04f3b56cd9f2bff0ab *winamp295_full_noaod.exe (1st leaked)
16437fc7733f5378e4acf3b9c8c2f6d5 *winamp295_full_noaod.exe (2nd)

- M.

If you select the url in one of my previous posts linking to the new WInamp 2.95 version, you'll be able to download ALL the versions.

Full, Lite, etc.

Reply #31
Amano,

How do I uninstall or NOT install the minibrowser?
Is there a way to remove it?

Reply #32
Heh, I am a recent convert to Foobar2k, but I still think Winamp is a great piece of software. Sure, the minibrowser and video can be a bit of bloatware, but just disable them (afaik, they can't be uninstalled) and you've got a decent skinnable multi-format player with a lot of plugins and with which listening to the radio is a breeze.

Reply #33
Not sure what your reason for getting rid of the minbrowser is.

I don't think it can be disabled, i.e. you will always be able to open the window.
You can, however, stop it connecting to the internet if that is what you want.

Either disable internet connection in Preferences > Settings > No internet connection available. Bear in mind this will also break CDDB look ups. The file 'winampmb.htm' in the main Winamp folder is used for display if no net connection is available, you can replace it with a picture of the wife and kids or whatever you choose.

Or install the gen_nomoremb plugin from Oddsocks. This will prevent radio streams opening their websites. This is designed to kill the pop up adverts that some streams inflict on you (even with the mb window closed or Winamp minimized)

I stuck with 2.81 for a while as I rely on CDReader for access to cdplayer.ini (CDReader isn't fully functional in the 2.9 series). I'm slowly coming round to 2.91 and now use CDReader from 'Explorer' and the default CD plugin from the Winamp menu. (Having both plugins installed at the same time is not usually recommended BTW and may lead to problems).

UJ