Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VLC video choppy (Read 15410 times) previous topic - next topic

VLC video choppy

Since the last few months all v mp4 video seems to be choppy. What happens is about every 5 seconds or so it seems either the video moves back a few frames or forward a few(can't tell but seems to go back). It's as if the video is playing too fast and after a few seconds vlc moves it backwards to sync it.

It used to not do this and sometimes get fixed by randomly seeking around the video until it stops doing it but seeking again will cause it to start up.

For example, I was watching some bluray movie. It started the issues from the get go. I moved the playback to after the intro and was able to watch the movie without the problem. Seeking again would have caused it, most likely, to start having the issues.

It's not the computer's speed because it doesn't happen all the time(aka, above). Some videos work fine. It might be a setting in VLC that I changed that is causing it but I'm not sure what.

Any ideas?

VLC video choppy

Reply #1
I think I solved it by disabling hardware decoding in video/ffmpeg settings (was on directX video acceleration DXVA 2.0). Turning that off and no choppy playback so far(which means it got rid of 99% of it at least). Setting to automatic chose that decoder which also was the problem. Had to set to disable. (so I guess it's a hardware rendering issue ;/)

Re: VLC video choppy

Reply #2
If you're attached to VLC this will be no use to you.

IMO, for Windows, there are many many superior players out there.

I would recommend MPC-BE or Daum PotsPlayer.
Shure SM58 | Sennheiser e865 Condesnor | Sennheiser e935 Dynamic | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Novation Impulse 25

Windows 10 x64 | OSX El Capitan | Linux - Another day, another distro :)

Reply #3
Also mpv (My favorite on linux and mac).
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #5
You might be better served posting this on VLC's forum, as they'd be more knowledgeable about VLC-specific behavior.  The question, besides the basics (what is your CPU/GPU, and what graphics driver version), is: what changed around the time this behavior started?  New gfx driver? New VLC version? &c.

Sounds like disabling it resolves your issue, which is good, although you'll theoretically see in an increase in CPU usage if VLC is using software rendering for everything now. Depending on how acceptable that trade-off is to you, I'd suggest talking with the VLC folks or using one of the alternative players mentioned here (I use MPC-HC, personally).

Reply #6
vlc 2.2.2?

i uninstalled and rolled back to 2.2.1 ... no more choppy video. its a known issue so hopefully it'll be corrected soon ...

you can dl 2.2.1 here