Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does WavPack not understand German? (Read 2471 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does WavPack not understand German?

A few seconds ago I had to realize that WavPack still does not recognise German Umlauts. Sad. And not understandable, considering that WavPack has "full Unicode support on the Windows command-line". What's wrong?
More details: tried to process the following file: "f:\Audiofiles\Klassik\Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel\FlötenSonate Wq129 D-Dur\...wav". WavPack decided not to find the file.  Changing the name to ...\FloetenSonate... solves the problem. But I don't like "oe" instead of "ö"; it's so ugly.

Thanks for any advice!

(WavPack 32-bit, v5.1.0)

Re: Why does WavPack not understand German?

Reply #1
How exactly did you perform your test? WavPack does support unicode and has no problems encoding file with the path from your example. That path actually would work even on non-unicode programs.

Reply #2
Sorry for the late answer, but I am confused. I use a tool named Mult Frontend.exe for such tasks. It generates a batch files with the necessary commands and then executes this batch. In the present case the batch looks like this:
D:
cd "D:\Musik\AudioTools"
"WavPack\wvunpack.exe" "F:\Audiofiles\Klassik\Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel\FlötenSonate Wq129 D-Dur\01 - Adagio.wv" "F:\Audiofiles\Klassik\Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel\FlötenSonate Wq129 D-Dur\01 - Adagio.wav"
"Lame\lame.exe" -V 3 --vbr-new "F:\Audiofiles\Klassik\Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel\FlötenSonate Wq129 D-Dur\01 - Adagio.wav" "F:\Audiofiles\Klassik\Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel\FlötenSonate Wq129 D-Dur\01 - Adagio.mp3"

The first command unpacks a wv file and the second uses lame to compress the wav to mp3.
And it is the first command that leads to the "file not found" error. So I thought that wvunpack is the culprit. But it is'nt, because if the command is executed directly from the command line (without the batch file), it works fine.  But when the command line window is opened during the batch file execution, the path name shows cryptic letters instead of the Umlaut "ö" and does not work ... Whatever the batch file does, it seems not to be related to wavpack or wvunpack.

Reply #3
WVUNPACK [-options] infile[.wv]|- [...] [-o outfile[.ext]|outpath|-]

Reply #4
This is the error message:

fromfile: Can't open file 'F:\Audiofiles\Klassik\Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel\Fl÷tenSonate Wq129 D-Dur\01 - Adagio.wv'.

The "ö" in the directory name is read as "÷" and such file does not exist. If the ö is replace by oe, everything works fine. It cannot be a wrong synthax.

Reply #5
Windows batch does not work with UTF8 coding, you have to convert the file to local codepage.

Reply #6
I think, that's it. Thank you!