Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Randomise a Playlist? (Read 946 times) previous topic - next topic

Randomise a Playlist?

Quick question please: how do I randomise a playlist?  The random play button seems to just jump to a random point in the playlist, which then plays in succession from that point.  What I would like to do is have the whole playlist either scrambled or played in a random order.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Re: Randomise a Playlist?

Reply #1
Playback  >  Order  >  Random       (a control for the playback order can be put in the toolbar)
Edit  >  Sort  >  Randomize             (this can also be done with a custom button in the toolbar)

Is this what you are looking for?

Reply #2
Is this what you are looking for?
Yes, very likely.  I'll have a play, thank you for the pointer.

Reply #3
Playback  >  Order  >  Random
That appears to do the same as the random play button on the transport toolbar, and just picks a random point in the playlist then cancels the "random" option.  So far as I can see there is no Preferences option to make this persistent (unlike stop after current track).

Edit  >  Sort  >  Randomize             (this can also be done with a custom button in the toolbar)
This seems more appropriate, how do I make a button which does that (I'm using the DUI)?

Reply #4
That appears to do the same as the random play button on the transport toolbar, and just picks a random point in the playlist then cancels the "random" option.  So far as I can see there is no Preferences option to make this persistent (unlike stop after current track).
Unless I am mistaken, for me it is not what you describe, it is a persistent setting.

This seems more appropriate, how do I make a button which does that (I'm using the DUI)?
Right click on a button (play or pause for example)  >  Customize Buttons…   >  on the right, look for the command  [main] > Edit > Sort > Randomize    >  Add.
It is possible to choose an icon. For example I found this one in my files (not very pretty and black, so not compatible with dark mode). If you want another one, maybe there are topics on the forum for that, otherwise there are plenty of websites. Possibly make your own icons but I'm not competent enough to advise you.

Reply #5
Many thanks for your help.

Reply #6
Unless I am mistaken, for me it is not what you describe, it is a persistent setting.
My mistake, I was looking at Playback > Random instead of Payback > Order > Random.