Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adobe Audition 1.0 Installation (Read 10122 times) previous topic - next topic

Adobe Audition 1.0 Installation

Wondering if anyone has successfully installed Audition 1.0 recently.  I've tried putting it on a few newer machines and haven't had any luck.  It will install but once I try to run it, the program crashes without any indication that it ever started.

I fear I never have to reinstall it on the one machine where I have it running.

Reply #1
I run Cool Edit 2000 and Audition 3 on 64 bit Win7. I have CE2k compatibility set to WinXP and Audition 3 with "run as administrator." I know many other people have been suscessful. You might ask on
http://www.audiomastersforum.net/
for help.

Reply #3
There are still upgrades coming out for Audition, one not long ago.

Audition 1 was Cool Edit 2.1, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it was functionally identical  with what was the current Cool Edit when Adobe purchased it (logo and minor cosmetic changes only). One might therefore say upgrades for Cool Edit are still being produced, although under Adobe the product focus has changed somewhat, having been made to fit into Adobe's video vision.

Reply #5
You're not using Windows 8, are you?
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #7
Thinking back I believe I was still running -GASP- Windows 98 with Audition 1.0.  A week or so after I bought CoolEdit Pro 2.1 Adobe announced they bought Syntrillium and offered Audition 1.0 for $10 so I got it. When Audition 1.5 came out I found it required Win2000 or XP so I went XP. I might load it on the HTPC as it is nearly identical to the other machines with no audio software on it at all but it probably won't be until the weekend. FWIW the machines are all Gigabyte 780s with Phenom II quad cores and Win XP Pro SP3.

Reply #9
You can legitimately acquire Audition 3 from Adobe under their recent making available policy of old software.

This link explains the process, you merely have to create an Adobe ID, which anyone can do.
Thunder Bolt

Strikes where least expected!

Reply #11
legitimately
No.

You are right, on the download page, where they have basically all the CS2 products, they have this text:

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

Reply #12
I had actually grabbed a copy before that text was added in red.

Anyway, I appreciate the desire to help by suggesting alternatives, but I am only interested in being able to install and run version 1.0.

Reply #13
I just used Audition 1.0 (build 3211.2) at work on XP Pro, SP 3, 32-bit, without problems. Not sure what the reason could be on your side.

Have you tried moving all *.xfm files in the installation directory to somewhere else temporarily and then (re)starting Audition?

Edit: sorry, just saw that you were asking for new installations on XP. Nope, haven't done that.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #14
Hey Chris, whaddya know, I got it running!

I removed those and then some others and it started right up.

...now I just need to figure out which actually made the difference and figure out what to do from there.

Thanks!!!

Reply #16
Interesting. I don't have such a file, only a UID.mr.dll which, if you remove it, causes a "Error loading external library" message box but nothing else obvious (Audition seems to work). The DLL properties say "UI Utility DLL".

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #17
.dr Jekyll and .mr Hyde! Although they seem to have switched roles somewhere along the line, as now the Dr seems bad and the Mr seems good.

Edit as per below: Bah, you ruined my joke! Oh well: it wasn’t very good, anyway.

Reply #19

I installed CEP 2.1 on my fairly new Win 8 Pro 64 bit system a few days ago, and it seems to be working fine for editing. The CD burning and CD ripping features don't work. I seem to recall that its access to the windows mixer has been broken since Vista. Never used it, anyway. I do miss the ripping and burning features.

Reply #21

I installed CEP 2.1 on my fairly new Win 8 Pro 64 bit system a few days ago, and it seems to be working fine for editing. The CD burning and CD ripping features don't work. I seem to recall that its access to the windows mixer has been broken since Vista. Never used it, anyway. I do miss the ripping and burning features.

My version of CEP 2.1 (b3097.0) doesn't have CD burning capability. Is it part of a later build or available as an add-on - it's a feature I've often missed?

Reply #22

My version of CEP 2.1 (b3097.0) doesn't have CD burning capability. Is it part of a later build or available as an add-on - it's a feature I've often missed?

It was a beta feature that was dramatically changed and IMO worsened considerably, when it finally became part of the main Audition product. I don't know how obsolete components of CEP can be legally distributed at this point.  It never worked on every computer I tried it on, but did work fairly often on XP 32 systems.

Reply #23
I installed my old Audition 1.0 disc on my new 64-bit Windows 7 laptop, with no problems in use so far. (It installed under C:/Program Files (x86)/Adobe ). I've only ever used it to edit existing audio files, not to record audio or burn discs