Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %list_index% problem with directory index (Read 5134 times) previous topic - next topic

%list_index% problem with directory index

Hi, I like to rename/copy files in the order of the active playlist using the move, rename or copy files dialog-window. i use a relatively simple rename script which looks like:

%list_index% - %artist% - %title%

now the problem is that in the right (filelist) window pane the playlist files are displayed in alphabetical order and the files are renamed in this alphabetical order. eg %list_index% working as a "directory_filelist_index" and not as a "foobar_playlist_index"

for example

original filenames (as displayed in the right filelist window):
------------------------------------------------
beatles  - a hard days night.mp3
beetels - can't buy me love.mp3
the beatles - back in the ussr.mp3

foobarplaylist order (after editing mp3 tags):
1. beatles  a hard days night
2. beatles  back in the ussr
3. beatles  can't buy me love

new file names after rename using
%list_index% - %artist% - %title%
1 - beatles  - a hard days night.mp3
2 - beatles  - can't buy me love.mp3
3 - beatles  - back in the ussr.mp3

i'm using foobar v0.9.4.3, the masstagger dll has no version information, but has a size of 304kb.
i've also tried resetting all preferences and reinstalled foobar, but i can't change this list_index behavior.
am i doing something wrong here since nobody seems to have any real problems using the list_index variable.

tia dutchbeard

Reply #1
I have the same problems here.

Reply #2
I have the same problems here.

I made a workaround using a script that writes the %list_index% variable to a mp3 field using the masstagger dialogbox (tagging, manage scripts).

it looks like this:

Format COUNTER using "%list_index%"

(This works if you select all the files in the playlist).

After this i can use a file copy/rename/move script in the form

%counter% - %artist% - %title%

HTH

Reply #4
I am having this same issue. Is this a bug, or am I understanding the %list_index% variable wrong? Because when I try to use it in the move/rename dialog, it does indeed sort the files alphabetically instead of by their position in the playlist.

I'm using 0.9.5.

Reply #5
Issues fixed since beta7:

Usability: File Operations sorts files by path rather than using order of tracks (in playlist etc) it was invoked on.