Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Deezer plugin (Read 1145 times) previous topic - next topic

Deezer plugin

With a very little hope, I write here a little wish.

I am a Deezer user with a premium account.
Their desktop client for Windows is really bad, as it does not support two options that are crucial for me:
- gapless playback
- select an external usb dac as output for playback

These are features that have been requested many times over the years directly to the company, but never implemented.
It would be really great if some experienced developer, taking advantage of Deezer's API, could make a foobar plugin that would allow (finally decent) playback of the tracks in their vast catalogue.

Is there no one capable of taking up this challenge?
I think many Deezer users might appreciate it.

Re: Deezer plugin

Reply #1
The problem with such a client....is the lawyers. Deezer are known not to solve their problems with technology (thier DRM is absolutely terrible from a technical sense, in that it does nothing, compared to Spotify, which has a multifaceted approach), they solve their problems with brute legal force. No doubt a Deezer component author would be sued out of existance, because it would rely on undocumented things to play back the premium tracks. Spotify once didn't have that problem since they had a public SDK, but even then that was heavily copy protected with Themida, which messed up error reporting in FB2K.

Reply #2
The problem with such a client....is the lawyers. Deezer are known not to solve their problems with technology (thier DRM is absolutely terrible from a technical sense, in that it does nothing, compared to Spotify, which has a multifaceted approach), they solve their problems with brute legal force. No doubt a Deezer component author would be sued out of existance, because it would rely on undocumented things to play back the premium tracks. Spotify once didn't have that problem since they had a public SDK, but even then that was heavily copy protected with Themida, which messed up error reporting in FB2K.

Thank you for your reply, but I think I am misunderstood.
The foobar plugin that I would like to see implemented should not access Deezer's library illegally, but, through the public API and depending on the credentials of the user who is using it, the component should allow the tracks to be played, overcoming the problem of the official Windows client, which does not allow gapless playback and the use of external USB DACs.
Other music streaming platforms are integrated in some players without any legal problems, since they require the login credentials of a user with a subscription to work.
See for example Qobuz and Tidal integrated in Roon or USB Audio Player for Android.

Reply #4
As far as I understand the terms, they allow streaming, they just don't allow to offer the end-user a link to download the entire track or to store the cached track offline (both are things seen at the YouTube plugin too, which only show the video link but not the actual media link). And everything is fine if you are under 30 secs (which I think is enough to offer a good streaming plugin + DSP support without hiccups)..

Reply #6
Just for reference, the same discussion and conclusions at musicbee:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15364.msg91515#msg91515

The 'Premium+ subscribers' thing means that if Steven was to integrate the Deezer API into MB, or someone was to use the API to create a Deezer plugin, than only those subscribers would be able to access the full streams for 'Music on Demand'.  All other users only get 30 second samples.
Also, as part of their API use agreement, all apps and plugins must hide the true unadulterated stream URL and must make sure only the DRM URL can be revealed.  So you can never get the true URL to put into an ASX file.

The only way would be if the plugin (or MB) matched up the obfuscated URL in the ASX with the real stream URL.

Thanks
Bee-liever  :)

EDIT: in fact, there are tons of 3r party devices playing Deezer, so [only] streaming is obviously fine.
https://www.deezer.com/explore/en-us/devices/cars/

It's just that there is no developer interested on it xd