Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Compatibility with media monkey? (Read 6074 times) previous topic - next topic

Compatibility with media monkey?

Hi,
Im new with FOOBAR2000 and spend about 20 days ripping my hole collection of CDs to my HDD using EAC (no compresion). I downloaded almost all the covers and was ready to enjoy FB2000. The problem is that after all that, looks like I didnt configure correctly the information when I saved and now I have no "artist" or "album name" in FB2000. I verify the information in my HDD and there, is correctly saved -thanks god!-; a file for each artist and inside that file other with each album and inside that, the songs each with its own name). I understand that maybe that means nothing for foobar but I feel better knowing that everything is there.
I read somewhere that I can use "mediamonkey" to change this information and looks like it is a easy program to deal with and there I can fill the correct information. Before start, I have some questions for you:

1.- If I fullfill the hole information correctly with mediamonkey is fully 100% compatible with FOOBAR2000? for example, when MM said "artist" means "artist" for FB2K?
2.- Is there any way to verify with Foobar2000 each information area (artist, album, song, year,etc.) one by one? the idea is try with 2 or 3 and verify everything is working ok.

I supposse this are silly questions for you but for me is a compicated siuation. I downloaded a skin that I like (I dont know nothing about programing this beautifull system) and I want to use it but the album and artist appears "tag missing".

All your comments will be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
1- Yes. MM uses standard tags. You can also try using MP3Tag for your needs (i.e. tagging from the directory structure).
2- Um, just load the files into a playlist. I use Explorer Tree plugin which allows downloading a folder and all its subfolders recursively. Then just scroll down and check everything out.

I'm not sure what you mean about "skin", I'm guessing it's one of those "looks" that people have been creating. For your quest, I suggest you go simple, i.e. use a basic "look" that displays artist, album, etc. on every line instead of one of the fancier "album-view" modes. After ensuring all files are tagged properly, then you can use the fancier looks.

Hope this helps.

Reply #2
1- Yes. MM uses standard tags. You can also try using MP3Tag for your needs (i.e. tagging from the directory structure).
2- Um, just load the files into a playlist. I use Explorer Tree plugin which allows downloading a folder and all its subfolders recursively. Then just scroll down and check everything out.

I'm not sure what you mean about "skin", I'm guessing it's one of those "looks" that people have been creating. For your quest, I suggest you go simple, i.e. use a basic "look" that displays artist, album, etc. on every line instead of one of the fancier "album-view" modes. After ensuring all files are tagged properly, then you can use the fancier looks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll do what you sugest.

THANKS, IT HELPS INDEED. I'LL DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST.

Reply #3
Hi again, just donload the program and looksb very easy to work with. I  added the file that contents all my music (E:\CD Collection) but cant make the files appear . Looks like the only files that accept to download are the ones with the terminal .meu / .cue but no others.Could you help me please? thanks

Reply #4
Sorry, I don't quite get your question. What program have you downloaded? And how do you add the file?

Reply #5
sorry. I download MP3TAG and cant make it upload my files. I change the path in the "folder" area but I dont get my list of files, the panel on the right appears empty and cant figure why. Any sugestions?

Reply #6
More and hope clear inform ation (sorry but my english is not the best). When I open MP3TAG, In the lower left part there s an option for  the folder you want to use and there I put the one that contains all my music. ASfter that I open the "file" tab and there I select "load playlist" a newe window pens and there appear all my files BUT in the lower part the only files that I can use are the ones with the sbufix .meu OR .cue and cant go furder Any sugestions?

Reply #7
Folder area? Oh you mean the text box on the panel? That's not where to instruct MP3Tag to read directory.

Click on the folder with the green checkmark on the toolbar (4th icon from the left, I think), and don't forget to check the "Subfolders" checkbox.

Reply #8
You said you used no compression, and that each track is a separate file. As these are wav files? They cannot be tagged, and you will need to either add CUE files or compress them to a format such as WavPack to tag them.

You can get WavPack here, put wavpack.exe into your foobar2000 directory. Add the wav files to your foobar2000 playlist, select them, right click and choose Converter->Convert to same directory... and choose WavPack. After converting the files, you can select all the tracks from one album, rightclick and use Tagging->Get Tags from freedb to easily and accurately tag the files.
Alternatively, if you do not want to use WavPack, you can use the 'Convert to album images with chapters' option.

Reply #9
Thanks. This option of avpack could modify my files? I want to keep them compresionless. Thanks

Reply #10
WavPack will compress your files, making them smaller, but it is lossless compression, like ZIP or RAR, and no quality will be lost. When/if you decompress your files, the resulting WAV files will be identical to those you started with.

Reply #11
Yes, my files are WAV. Please, dont take this question wrong but, are you sure about not loosing nothing in this process? Im really worried about quality .

Reply #12
In the default lossless mode WavPack acts just like a WinZip compressor for audio files. However, unlike MP3 or WMA encoding which can affect the sound quality, not a single bit of the original information is lost, so there's no chance of degradation. This makes lossless mode ideal for archiving audio material or any other situation where quality is paramount. The compression ratio depends on the source material, but generally is between 30% and 70%.

Reply #13
Yes, my files are WAV. Please, dont take this question wrong but, are you sure about not loosing nothing in this process? Im really worried about quality .

There're two kind of audio codec lossless and lossy. Wavpack is in the first category which means you won't lose anything when compressing audio with it.

Reply #14
ok, i'll try that. thasnks

Reply #15
bad post